Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've made it to my 1 year anniversary! I've got 25,553 miles on my 2013 GLS. It's time I think to run down the pros and cons:

Pros
1) VERY spacious, I believe. I a very big guy (315 pounds), and have no problem getting in or out, nor any problems feeling cramped while in the seat
2) Faster exceleration that I would have thought I would get going from a 6 cylinder XG350 to the 4 cylinder Sonata
3) Exterior finish has remained high quality and sharp looking with minimal work. During the summer, hand wash once a week (or so), wax 3 - 4 times. During the winter, touchless car wash once a week (or more), waxed twice on nicer days.
4) Trunk is large, no problem carrying 3 sets of clubs
5) No maintenance or warranty issues
6) Heating system works great - I big improvement from the XG350, which I think had a bad heating unit, but I never bother replacing it.

Cons
1) With 90% of my drive as highway, I expected to get about 33.5 - 35 MPG. I've been getting 31.5 pretty consistently in the summer, and 29.25 in the winter
2) Materials on the interior are cheap, cheap looking, and some are tough to keep looking sharp. Particularly the black plastic area surrounding the cupholders and gear shifter.
3) Air conditioner actually is too cold. I have a difficult time regulating it, and find that it takes combining the temperature, fan speed AND the vent louvers just right to keep comfortable in the summer
4) The Bluetooth connection keeps "un pairing" from my phone. however, this could just as well be a phone issue.
5) I miss having a Homelink mirror, but not enough to spring for one. But I miss a Homelink mirror.

I have other minor pros and cons, but some days these aggravate (or thrill) me, others it's no big deal.

All in all, I rate the vehicle a 9.1 / 10, and a 9.6 /10 as far as value goes. I recommend it to my friends, and assuming Hyundai maintains their standards, expect to buy another one when it is time to replace this one.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
Yes, Bob - great write-up on the one year anniversary! My 2012 SE Turbo was a year old this June and all I have to say is that it has been a great experience. No problems except I had to replace the homelink mirror about three months after purchase.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I agree about the area around the cupholders, it scratches way too easily. It feels like the same rubberized material that's on the steering wheel inserts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Totally agree about the AC, I've got a 2013 SE. I put the AC fan on 1, vents half closed and still have to turn it off and on during my morning commute. Afternoon commute I go 3/4 open with the vents and still keep the fan on 1. Thiis is during an Atlanta summer. I can't imagine running the thing on 3 or 4 with the vents all the way open.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I bought a CPO 11 Sonata SE with 35K on the clock in May of this year and the build date is sometime in 2010... She is just under 45K after a trip to El Paso, Tx and Las Vegas from Phoenix, Az and not a single issue at all... Best purchase I ever made but we also have 2 other Sonatas of the last 2 body styles in the family that have had 0 issues so I might be a little bias... lol I have to disagree on the AC tho but it might be where I live... If you are not moving then the AC gets hot but after you have been driving for a little then yes it is hard to modurate...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
S1dimmer, that's exactly how I deal with the AC, except I also moderate the temp knob. On hot days, when I first get it, I have the temp as cold as it will go. Within a couple of minutes, I have it at about 9 o'clock. On cool spring / summer / fall mornings, I have the knob at about 12 o'clock.

I did forget one major con - I don't think the ride is as smooth as I would have expected. I went from a 2004 XG350 to a 2013 Sonata. I anticipated the 9 year newer car would have a better ride quality than the slightly more luxurious XG, but in fact, it's significantly worse. But I have determined this is an issue with just my car, as I drove a friend's 2012 GLS and hers was a very nice ride.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hi mk9750,

Regarding ride of the Sonata and xg350. I feel the Sonata has a more sporty ride and handles better. My Sonata Limited has a different suspension than your new GLS. The XG350 has a softer ride and does not handle as well. I still have both autos but like the ride in the Sonata better than the XG. Just my BTW. Both are good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Feel the same about the easily scratched interior, the cold AC, and even the lack of Homelink! By far my only real disappointment is the fragile interior. My wife's rings scratched off the finish on the steering wheel, there are scratches on the hard plastic dash, and the cheap plastic around the cup holders never really looks clean, despite repeated cleanings. My 11 year old Dodge pickup's interior looks 100% better. And its a work truck!

Still like the car though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's odd.......I find my AC not powerful enough.

On hot days I usually have to crank it to full fan and recirculation all the time.

I rather just thought that it was undersized - but now I think I may have to take it in...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
That's odd.......I find my AC not powerful enough.

On hot days I usually have to crank it to full fan and recirculation all the time.

I rather just thought that it was undersized - but now I think I may have to take it in...
I live on the hot and humid gulf coast and my a/c is plenty powerful enough, I seldom need to turn the fan above #2.

In Canada it should freeze you out of the car. Have you checked to make sure your cabin filter isn't clogged?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I live on the hot and humid gulf coast and my a/c is plenty powerful enough, I seldom need to turn the fan above #2.

In Canada it should freeze you out of the car. Have you checked to make sure your cabin filter isn't clogged?
Hmmm......I suppose after 30,000 miles I should have changed my cabin filter.

I get lots of air - it blows like crazy......just not freezing cold.
It take a while to cool down the interior on a hot day, and I have to leave it on pretty high to maintain it.

It was like this since new - so I didn't have a reason to think anything was wrong.
Now I do!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Hmmm......I suppose after 30,000 miles I should have changed my cabin filter.

I get lots of air - it blows like crazy......just not freezing cold.
It take a while to cool down the interior on a hot day, and I have to leave it on pretty high to maintain it.

It was like this since new - so I didn't have a reason to think anything was wrong.
Now I do!
You will be astonished to see what that filter looks like after 30k miles. I changed mine at 17k and was shocked.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
You will be astonished to see what that filter looks like after 30k miles. I changed mine at 17k and was shocked.
Same here, my car has 22k miles and it was loaded with dust and crumbled leaves when I checked it a few days ago. I'm waiting on my new one from Amazon to come in the mail.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Feel the same about the easily scratched interior, the cold AC, and even the lack of Homelink! By far my only real disappointment is the fragile interior. My wife's rings scratched off the finish on the steering wheel, there are scratches on the hard plastic dash, and the cheap plastic around the cup holders never really looks clean, despite repeated cleanings. My 11 year old Dodge pickup's interior looks 100% better. And its a work truck!

Still like the car though.
Add me to the list of people that agrees the interior is very fragile. I have actually had microfiber towels leave marks on the interior plastic. Meguiar's Interior Detailer and a microfiber towel...left scratches. I had never seen anything like it! Now when I clean the interior, I still use microfiber but use virtually no pressure. Just sort of lightly dust the surface and knock any dust off. As long as I do that once a week, the interior stays in good shape.

The A/C in my car is OK. It definitely gets cold, but I just don't find the air distribution to be all that great. According to the vent thermometer I have, on recirc-Max A/C the system is pushing out 38 degree air at the vents. When set on fresh air A/C, the system puts out 40 degree air. It is certainly cold air, but it just doesn't cool the inside of the cabin very well. On hot days (85+) it is difficult to feel cool and comfortable even with the 38-40 degree air pushing out of the vents.

I have had my Sonata now for 39 months and 44,300 miles. Fuel economy and overall reliability have been great. However:
- it seems I get a new interior squeak or rattle every week.
- The engine is getting noisier as it ages, and sometimes makes some really peculiar noises. Car has been regularly serviced every 5,000 miles by the dealer.
- The transmission has a sporadic, non-repeatable hard shift every now and then that throws me forward in my seat.
- Recently, while going through an intersection, the car lost forward momentum/power and the instrument cluster went dim. Then 2 seconds later everything was back to normal. No CEL or anything. Hasn't done it again since.
- The drive belt squeals when driving through heavy rain/puddles, and sometimes the battery light will come on briefly when the belt squeals (dealer says everything is "normal".)

So my Sonata is not without its quirks. Not sure I would buy another Sonata, but I would consider another Hyundai or KIA product.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts