Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Happy Holidays to everyone!
1-Love my 2015 Santa Fe Sport AWD but I need to sit up hiiigh in order to see around the blind spots caused by the wide pillars near the bottom of the windshield. Joggers coming from the left can literally get lost when they and the pillars line up, when I'm stopped for a stop sign. Anyone else have this problem???
2- "Sitting up high" is no problem, and it helps me to view the pillar near its less-wide area -- but the way the car seat is configured, no amount of adjusting can change the feeling that my knees are higher than my butt. The only solution I can think of is sitting on a knee pad (that is used by gardeners to kneel on) to make the back half of the bottom part of the seat feel flatter. Anyone else have this problem?
3- When spraying wiper fluid on the windshield in a rainstorm, the spray sticks to the right side of the windshield and just stays there -- the wipers can't wipe it away -- so here's another blind spot -- I can't see thru those huge drops of windshield washer fluid. I solved that buy wiping that specific area with Rain-X so the wiper fluid slides off, and I'm considering a quick and dirty but effective fix to the actual spray nozzle (without compromising safety). Anyone else have this problem and/or fixed it?

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
on our elantras, the a pillar blocks a LOT. going around tight corners can be a chore. i remember a long time ago, when a friend first drove my bmw, he remarked that it was like driving with a picture window. he could see everything. course, this was way before hyundai existed. in the us, at least

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You have to be careful with those pillars. I have pulled out into traffic multiple times because a vehicle was completely hidden by the pillar. Quick reflexes on may part combined with one or two decent other drivers saved me from accidents. The design of the intersecting road can make it even worse if, for example, if curves just the right way. I have learned to stop and NEVER try to rush through because it "appears" to be clear. Stop. Look. And stays stopped until you are sure that anything lurking behind that pillar would have been visible by now. Leaning forward also allow me to look past it.

This is not unique to the Santa Fe. Large front and rear pillars are often almost necessary because of the leaned back / aerodynamic rake / angle of the front glass. Plus if memory serves there may be side curtain air bags stuffed in there as well.......Having the rear camera and rear cross traffic detection is a must. As a GM Dealer we see a LOT of rear end damage to the Traverse without cross traffic detection as the owner back out into traffic that they cannot see. Much less common for a vehicle with cross traffic detection......Plus the wide angle lens on the rear camera can help to see past the rear blind spots....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Large A pillars are very common in today's vehicles; IMHO due to NHTSA roof crush requirements.
And the positioning of the large outside rearview mirror doesn't help visibility either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2017 Santa Cruze XL Ultimate... Yes, have had two close calls with pedestrians as the A pillar obscured them... Being dark both times, and both pedies wearing dark clothing didn't help matters much.

John.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Night. Dark clothes. No lighting on the pedestrians. That's an accident just waiting to happen, wide pillars or not. I have had an incident or two with pedestrians as well. If you do not see them in advance and happen to look after they have moved into the blind spot, you may not see them until your turn or their motion brings them back into view. Not much you can do about that. Hard to sit there waiting to see if a slow moving pedestrian is hiding when you are already in the intersection and traffic behind you.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The A-pillar blind spot is my main complaint on our 2013 Santa Fe. As for blind spots backing out of parking spaces, I always look for a "pull-through" parking spot or back into a space to park (less risk backing into a space than backing out into parking lot traffic).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts