Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was 1 bar left from being empty. so i decided to put it on estimated miles, (31 miles left) and when i came to a stop. it didn't have an estimation. what a bummer. just wanted to share.

And it stayed on the hypens. Word.

·
Registered
461 Posts
i was 1 bar left from being empty. so i decided to put it on estimated miles, (31 miles left) and when i came to a stop. it didn't have an estimation. what a bummer. just wanted to share.

And it stayed on the hypens. Word.
SO why the thumbs down nothings wrong with your car my Sonata does that too once the fuel is so low it cannot estimate any longer

·
Registered
26 Posts
I imagine the lawyers made the engineers stop the estimated mileage at 31 miles because they knew some fool would see 5 miles to go and would try it, then file a lawsuit when he had to walk the last two miles.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol i imagine that too. its too bad they cant be very accurate. My estimation goes faster than my mileage. well these cars are in a competition world.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
..... its too bad they cant be very accurate.
Wish they had a reserve lever (like in motorcycles, old VW beetles), that when the engine sputtered, you could turn to access the last third of a gallon left in the tank, telling you to get to the gas station....... a great, simple, cheap way to stretch your range. I often traveled 15 miles on reserve with only tenths of gallon remaining & always was secure to reach a station.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have this problem but with superior bar, the fuel dispenser stops automatically but the bar indicator show me 1 bar less. If I full manually I can add almost a gallon more until the bar appear

·
Registered
419 Posts
lol i imagine that too. its too bad they cant be very accurate. My estimation goes faster than my mileage. well these cars are in a competition world.
Funny!, the reality is that the technology is out there to calculate down to the last mile. My dad did it in his 2010 Acura MDX. I think running the Accent "OUT" of gas may be damaging in some way, and may also be difficult to get re-started.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I think running the Accent "OUT" of gas may be damaging in some way, and may also be difficult to get re-started.
There have been claims that the submerged nature of the fuel pump aids in its cooling. That repeatedly running the tank to below 1/4 full will lead to shortened pump life. I don't know if that's true. But, it sounds plausible.

Regarding re-starting, I can tell you that I ran my car 6-7 times with the fuel pump turned OFF.[1] The car always started easily (after turning the pump on). But, 2-3 times, the engine acted like it wasn't getting enough gas when I stepped on it. It felt like the transmission was slipping, the RPMs were capped to about 2500.

I don't know if anyone who runs out of gas would experience the same thing. In my case, it seemed to last longer the longer I had driven it with the fuel pump off. For example, I drove it 2-3 miles with the fuel pump off. It took about 30 miles before the starvation went away.

Some people have said it was a vapor lock. But, the correlation to how far/long it ran without the pump seemed to point to the car's computer trying to maintain the economy of the past few miles. (I forget if I had ECO mode on. If I did, that would further explain what felt like "governing" the throttle.).

It's something for people to be aware of. If they run out of gas and feel that powerless condition, they shouldn't panic. Use the Shift-Tronic (if it's an automatic) and expect the problem to go away.

[1] My idea of a kill switch.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a manual and had that issue with my fuel pressure leaking back into the tank. I found that priming the fuel system about 4 or 5 times before starting the car also stopped that from happening too.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
FWIW, the GDI cars have two fuel pumps..

There's an electrical one in the tank to pump the fuel to the engine. Then there's a mechanical fuel pump in the engine that boosts the pressure up to 1700 PSI (or 118 bar in metric). This high pressure is required to force the fuel directly into the engine as the piston is coming up to the top of the compression stroke.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I only had this happen to me once, where I had less than 31 estimated miles left on my dashboard computer. But that was when I was on the way to a gas station and filled it up shortly thereafter.

It has been said on here multiple times that you do not want to run the fuel tank so low because A) our high pressure fuel pumps use the gasoline to help keep it cool, too little gas and it can heat up. So, running the car nearly empty for so long can affect the longevity of the pump.
B)if air enters the pump, then there the chance it will damage it or other fuel system components.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drove about an hour on the Interstate one time after the range went blank. The last 20 to 30 mins there was no bar in the gas gauge. Judging by how much gas it took to fill up, there was still a half gallon or so left in the tank. There has to be a margin of error in the gauge (variations in manufacturing, wear over time, variations in resistance in the car's wiring) and I guess it is better to fill up a bit early rather than bit late - after running out. Certainly more convenient!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Its one of those 'better safe than sorry' situations. I would be comfortable going another 10-15 (maybe 20 miles if I had to) once it goes to --- at 31, but no more. Unless its a thursday on the way home from work and tomorrow was payday, I wouldnt chance it.

And I read a year or 2 ago that today's fuel pumps shouldnt be damaged by running out of gas like older cars/pumps use to.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I don't want to chance anything where the GDI set up is concerned so I just go by the old adage of keeping your tank at least half full. Sometimes it'll go down a little below that but not much. This'll help with everything from moisture in the tank to having enough gas in your car if there's an emergency or natural disaster. I definitely don't want to see "40 miles remaining" in a flood or after a big earthquake.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I drove about an hour on the Interstate one time after the range went blank. The last 20 to 30 mins there was no bar in the gas gauge. Judging by how much gas it took to fill up, there was still a half gallon or so left in the tank. There has to be a margin of error in the gauge (variations in manufacturing, wear over time, variations in resistance in the car's wiring) and I guess it is better to fill up a bit early rather than bit late - after running out. Certainly more convenient!
Wow, you're brave! I would have been very nervous and expecting my car to die at any moment. Once I get down to the last bar and/or my fuel light comes on, I drive directly to the gas station for a fill-up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The estimation will stop at about 30 miles. I drive a lot and fill up every day so I get a daily oppertumity to watch it . The fuel light will start blinking at the same time it quits estimating. I once had it "estimate" I had 65 milesto go and a 35 mile trip home. 10 miles into the trip the estimator was off and the light was blinking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The GDI is very sensitive to air in the system. If you think about a slug of air in the line and the very small amount of fuel injected with each stoke, you can understand why it takes it a while to work out an air bubble when you let it run dry. Also, air compresses so it doesn't pump well, especially in micro amounts that are used in direct cylinder injection.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Our Accent took in 9.4 gallons at fill up after the estimated miles went to -- , so there definitely seems to be a margin for error built into the calculations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts