Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chasing a significant oil leak on my 2000 accent with the 1.5L. Was leaking from the top of the engine, so replaced the valve cover gasket and that cleared up. But still leaking, now appears to be from the front left of the engine. Confirmed its not the oil pressure sender. When I clean off the oil and drive a couple miles then look, I have fresh oil showing up where the motor and trans meet on the top/ftont. See pic below. So, I'm thinking rear main, any way to check before just tearing into it? Anything else that would leak in that area? Thanks...
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Light Automotive exterior Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Rear main would result in a leak underneath usually in the centre where the gearbox and block meets.

Is there a sealing plug like this in the head on the same side as the leak?They can go hard and shrink with age and leak. I think the whole area needs a degrease and wash down to help pinpoint it.

Font Rectangle Magenta Circle Carmine

Font Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a plug like that right there, yeah. I'll give it a good cleaning and see if that's the source. Is certainly in the right area. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
There is a plug like that right there, yeah. I'll give it a good cleaning and see if that's the source. Is certainly in the right area. Thanks!
leaks can be very deceptive. I had something similar on a Mitsubishi V6 6G74 motor. Oil dripping underneath right at the base of the trans and block. Feared rear main but after a much closer look and with the airbox out I found pools of oil on top of the gearbox casing and followed it all the way back to one of teh cylinder heads where the distributor was mounted off the head. A single o-ring worth a few bucks had simply gone really hard and oil ran straight past it. Still a pain to fix but much better than a rear main.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts