Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning people ,

Please give me advice. i have a 2005 Hyundai Getz 1.5 CRDi .I drove to a friends place which is about 40 km away...stayed at friends place for an hour and then left...about three blocks away, my car just died. Engine check light and oil light came on. I fiddled with the wiring and swapped some relays around (where they are the same). Tried to start car up again to no avail....Engine turns but its like its not getting Diesel...so I called my friend to please bring me some tools as I had none....as he got there a couple of minutes later I thought let me give it another go....It started...so I jumped in and hurried towards home...on my way home after about 10 minutes driving , The car dipped again and all light on dash came on...it then suddenly recovered so i kept driving.....about another 7 minutes or so later it died completely with all dash lights on...I called a tow truck which came and took my car home. At home I tried again to start my car . It started again. So It seems like the car starts up but when it gets to a certain temperature it cuts out.I tested the fan ,which comes on when i unplug the cable. Had ODB on it but it does not report any errors.funny thing though it does not pick up rpms. Had my mechanic out to look at it and he checked wiring and does not see anything wrong . He even cleaned out the plug connectors just in case there was a short. We both checked the interwebs and it seems like the Crank positioning sensor may be the culprit .

Please assist

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,940 Posts
We both checked the interwebs and it seems like the Crank positioning sensor may be the culprit.
Replacing the crank sensor seems like a reasonable first step. Hyundai crank sensors are know to start breaking down when they get hot causing the engine to quit, then recover when they cool down a little allowing the engine to start again.

Is your engine the 3 cylinder 12V or the 4 cylinder 16V version?
If you have the 3 cyl engine, it has an electric fuel pump in the tank. One of the symptoms of crank sensor failure is the fuel pump wont switch on during crank so you might want to check if the pump relay on the engine bay fusebox is being switched on DURING CRANK when the engine wont start. If the relay doesn't switch on that would seem to confirm a crank sensor issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi AutoSpark,

Thank you for the reply. It is the 3 Cylinder 12v.

Good news...It was the Crank positioning sensor that was causing the problems. heads up to all when replacing it. You will have to cut 24 spanner short to fit into tight space .

Cost of part R250
Cost of mechanic labor incl travel R500

Thank you

Regards

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts