Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone,

i recently joined this forum to ask about your thoughts. i am planning to get an i30 (2011 MY) and got quotations for the 1.4 petrol (109bhp) and 1.6 diesel (90bhp). at the same price of EUR 15,500, i can get the 1.4 in lounge+luxury pack and the 1.6 in lounge. so considering everything (engine and equipment), what do you think is the better choice? the car will be used mostly for city driving with occasional motorway trips. my estimated maximum annual mileage is at 15,000 km.

i have attached a detailed comparison of the equipment, highlighting the differences between the lounge+luxury pack model and the lounge model. these were just google translated from the hyundai belgium site so please pardon any incorrect translations.

thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Petrol seems really pricey compared to UK price list 1-2 years ago. On the petrol specs, the only real upgrade from the old 'Comfort' spec is the Climate Control as opposed to plain Aircon. At that time the diesel was £2k higher than petrol ('what the market will bear' pricing).

Go for the diesel: More enjoyable to drive and much better residual value.

But it is a myth that running costs would be lower than petrol unless your mileage is intergalactic.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (hyundai_on_thames @ Oct 28 2010, 10:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=366890
Petrol seems really pricey compared to UK price list 1-2 years ago. On the petrol specs, the only real upgrade from the old 'Comfort' spec is the Climate Control as opposed to plain Aircon. At that time the diesel was £2k higher than petrol ('what the market will bear' pricing).

Go for the diesel: More enjoyable to drive and much better residual value.

But it is a myth that running costs would be lower than petrol unless your mileage is intergalactic.
Thank you for your reply.

My question now is, does my annual maximum mileage warrant a diesel engine? I've read somewhere that modern diesel engines have particulate filters which trap soot and to burn the accumulated soot, the engine needs to get really hot (run at least 80 kmh for at least 10 mins). Since I'll be using the car mostly within the city, I might not be able to do this regularly.

Also, I am concerned with the power of the diesel which is 90hp. I am used to driving a company car BMW 118d diesel (143hp) and the sudden drop in performance might be very noticeable.

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
l would strongly suggest that you give the i30 diesel a good road test before you sign on the dotted line, you will notice a big difference in power compared to the BMW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (Montego @ Oct 28 2010, 09:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367026
l would strongly suggest that you give the i30 diesel a good road test before you sign on the dotted line, you will notice a big difference in power compared to the BMW
when you say big difference in power between the i30 and 118d, is the difference in favor of the i30 or the 118d?

so would you recommend the 1.6 diesel (90hp) over the 1.4 petrol (109hp) in terms of power? i read that power is not solely measurable on hp and that torque and rpm should also be considered. i apologize for my ignorance on this matter as i am just a regular car user.

my other concern is the cabin noise between the petrol and diesel engines. i test drove the 1.4 petrol last night and the cabin noise is really loud. considering that diesel engines are generally noisier, does it mean that cabin noise is even greater?

by the way, the test drive unit was the old model, not the 2011 model which i am considering to buy. would you know if there were cabin noise insulation improvements done from the old model to the 2011 model?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I heard somewhere that the more recent i30s no longer have under bonnet padding to deaden noise like the older ones did - suggest you open bonnet & check. If you are buying new you deserve to ride in both at least as a passenger to gauge the noise at say, 100 kmph.

My own '09 petrol i30 1.4 has reasonably low cabin noise - but maybe you are comparing with a Lexus or high end larger vehicle. Tyre noise also makes a big different - drive over a patch of concreted UK motorway and the cabin noise doubles compare to tarmac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts