Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Is the 1.2 engine generally free reving, quiet and as smooth as with the 1.0 excluding the 1.0 thrum.

Does the 1.2 get noisier as the miles pile on as some have claimed approaching 10,000 miles, or was this just with the previous 1.2 without variable valve timing?

Interested to hear from those with a 1.2 say a year or 2 old to confirm the above.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Gazza
I’m on my third i10 all 1.2 . my present i10 is 1.2 SE 2016 with close to 15000 on it . No problems with it other than rear pads sticking on which the dealer said they have never heard of and no modification of pads so gets in touch with customer service and within 2 days dealer was ringing me to say oh yes there is now a modification . Why they didn’t change them in the first place because they knew I knew there was.!!
Anyway 1.2 excellent smooth and quite plenty of get up and go ,no problems for over taking . Cruises on the motorway great . well happy with MPG just a fraction under 60 mile that amazed me, about 53 town/dual carriageway. Checked that a few times.
I road tested a 1.0 wasn’t to keen on it found it a bit harsh and under powered, mind had i20 courtesy car 1.0 turbo now if that was in the i10 I would of definitely had the 1.0 the turbo made all the difference. So 1.2 no regret .

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had the 1.2 some 18 months now from new and find it acceptably smooth although its not an engine you want to go revving it out for the fun of it. I've never tried the 1.0 but personally I woud always go for a 4cyl slightly higher capacity for any out of town drives and one of the reasons I went for an i10 over other modelsand makes which all seem to have 3cyl engines. Although I think the old kappa engine desperately needs replacing I will be interested to see if the 3cyl turbo from the i20 is used and whether it will be as refined as the current 1.2 in the i10.

Tim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 1.0 3 cylinder and find it great. Accelerates well, great around town cruises at 70 on the motorway with no effort and very quiet.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Having driven both, the 1.2 is the smoother quieter of the two engines. I quite like the thrum of the 3 cylinder it give it an almost sporty feel.

·
Registered
342 Posts
My view of the 1.2 is it's a very smooth engine and very well suited to my automatic gearbox. The engine normally revs between 2 and 3k rpm and around town settles down to about 1.5 revs at 30mph when the engine is warm. It's what most of us have bought as a city car with the occasional trip down a motorway. My fuel economy is very good and it's a lot to do with the fact I am soft on both the go pedal and the stop pedal. Me and the missus went out today to a park for a circular walk today and it's different going out on a saturday. All the cars that are parked up outside offices and factories in the week are on the road with the numpty behind the wheel. He's either stuffing himself in my rear view mirror trying to intimidate me out of his way or he's flying past on a dual carriageway and banging on the brakes at the roundabout. One geezer today in an Audi TT ripping off at every junction with a big row and every time I caught him up and I ended up giving him a smile which he didn't reciprocate. Maybe a gauge on the dash reading £ per mile would be better than revolutions per minute.

Reactions: Longshot
1 - 6 of 6 Posts