Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all

That old topic of engine oil again.
Checked my oil the other day(serviced sept 2017 and done 4000 miles since), and the oil looked black. my other half's car (Suzuki) has done 8000m since service and clean oil looking.

I have never had a petrol car have this colour oil before. Its like a diesel car oil! It would be -- read below!!

Questioned this with dealership and said all ok.
During discussion it appears that the dealerships near me (3 of them) do not use 5w30 A3/A5 oil, but 5w30 C3 oil (C3 is for diesel engines!)

Email sent to Hyundai head office and here is there reply:
Thank you for your email regarding engine oil for your i20.

Hyundai recommends the following oil specification for use with your car:

ACEA A3/A5 5W-30

However, Hyundai also state that you can use C3 oil, which is an oil predominantly used for diesel cars. C3 oil provides the same level of engine component protection as both A3 and A5. The approval of C3 oil for use with your petrol Hyundai makes for a more streamlined service process across our dealership network, as it reduces the requirement for them to keep stock of different oils for petrol and diesel cars.

Your thoughts?
Does not sound right to me
Ta

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,312 Posts
topbanana2014 said:
Checked my oil the other day(serviced sept 2017 and done 4000 miles since), and the oil looked black. my other half's car (Suzuki) has done 8000m since service and clean oil looking.
Does the Suzuki engine have a turbo?

One of the things that turns oil dark is heat, and the oil in a turbo charged engine is exposed to a lot more of it than the oil in an naturally aspirated engine.

topbanana2014 said:
Hyundai also state that you can use C3 oil....Does not sound right to me
So, you recon you know more about it than the engine manufacturer?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the Suzuki engine have a turbo?

One of the things that turns oil dark is heat, and the oil in a turbo charged engine is exposed to a lot more of it than the oil in an naturally aspirated engine.

So, you recon you know more about it than the engine manufacturer?
Where did I say that I think I know more that the manufacturer ??

I was asking for peoples opinions and thank you for yours

1 - 5 of 5 Posts