Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 26 2010, 02:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326662
Anyone thought of switching? Better fuel mileage, according to Mobil 1 advance fuel economy formula.

Should also ask abou 0W20.
I thought about it. more for the slight power advantage it may give, but i think the 5w20 I use now is a thin oil. Water like 0 weight just scares me.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ May 26 2010, 04:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326662
Anyone thought of switching? Better fuel mileage, according to Mobil 1 advance fuel economy formula.

Should also ask abou 0W20.
Probably won't hurt your engine, but Hyundai doesn't recommend it. Why take a chance on Hyundai
voiding your warranty? Recommended oils are 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30. 5w20 is best for very cold
weather and best gas mileage, 10w30 is best for hot weather protection.

There are many threads on the subject if you do a search. Be warned that oil is part science, part
advertising, and part religion, a very explosive mixture! :grin:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ May 27 2010, 09:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326846
Be warned that oil is part science, part
It is also part what's available especially in the lighter weights. Sometimes WallyWorld (walmart) has Mobil 1 in 5W-20 but, locally at least, most times they don't so I have to buy Pennzoil Platinum or look for something else.

Since I do it myself, I much prefer the 5 qt. jugs which are also a little harder to find.

Costco would be a logical place to buy oil but they make it a point NEVER to sell Mobil 1 5W-20 weight for some reason

·
Registered
31 Posts
My friend in the Oil Additives business for Chevron says that the MPG effect of switching to the next lower oil viscosity grade is in the tenths of a mile-per-gallon. I don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (bobad @ May 27 2010, 09:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326846
Probably won't hurt your engine, but Hyundai doesn't recommend it. Why take a chance on Hyundai
voiding your warranty? Recommended oils are 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30. 5w20 is best for very cold
weather and best gas mileage, 10w30 is best for hot weather protection.

There are many threads on the subject if you do a search. Be warned that oil is part science, part
The funny thing is the car calls for 5W20, the dealer uses 5W30. Of course I havn't been to the dealer in around 50k miles.

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (v33sonata @ May 26 2010, 07:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326697
I thought about it. more for the slight power advantage it may give, but i think the 5w20 I use now is a thin oil. Water like 0 weight just scares me.
Power advantage? I know you're into motors and would like to know why you say that? Wouldn't the 30W component of the 0W30 oil make it thicker than the 20W component of the 5W20 when the oil is warm? I like the idea of thin 0W oil for cold starts, when oil is naturally very thick and then the idea of thicker 30W oil for when the engine is hot and oil is naturally thin. That oil obviously gives the engine the best of both worlds. I'm just confused as to why it would give more power.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ May 28 2010, 07:15 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327242
Power advantage? I know you're into motors and would like to know why you say that? Wouldn't the 30W component of the 0W30 oil make it thicker than the 20W component of the 5W20 when the oil is warm? I like the idea of thin 0W oil for cold starts, when oil is naturally very thick and then the idea of thicker 30W oil for when the engine is hot and oil is naturally thin. That oil obviously gives the engine the best of both worlds. I'm just confused as to why it would give more power.
The theory is, thinner oil is easier to move around by pumps and moving parts. The power gain from 5w20 to 10w30 is
probably on the order of 1-2hp for a 234hp V6 engine. (I'm just guessing, but I bet I'm pretty close.). Car makers are
so desperate to get that last bit of gas mileage that even 1-2 more HP and a fraction of a percent better gas mileage is
significant to them.

·
Registered
550 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ May 28 2010, 10:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327278
The theory is, thinner oil is easier to move around by pumps and moving parts. The power gain from 5w20 to 10w30 is
probably on the order of 1-2hp for a 234hp V6 engine. (I'm just guessing, but I bet I'm pretty close.). Car makers are
so desperate to get that last bit of gas mileage that even 1-2 more HP and a fraction of a percent better gas mileage is
significant to them.
Hey Bobad. I'm an idiot. I thought V33 was comparing a 5W20 oil to 0W30 oil. But when I reread Big B's thread, I saw he talked about a 0W20 oil instead.

Knowing that a 5W20 oil is thinner than 0W30 oil when hot, I couldn't understand how the thicker 0W30 oil could improve power if it required more energy to circulate than the 5W20 oil. Of course, that is where I was wrong. A 5W20 and a 0W20 synthetic oil should have the same thickness when hot.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Blue07 @ May 28 2010, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327359
Hey Bobad. I'm an idiot. I thought V33 was comparing a 5W20 oil to 0W30 oil. But when I reread Big B's thread, I saw he talked about a 0W20 oil instead.

Knowing that a 5W20 oil is thinner than 0W30 oil when hot, I couldn't understand how the thicker 0W30 oil could improve power if it required more energy to circulate than the 5W20 oil. Of course, that is where I was wrong. A 5W20 and a 0W20 synthetic oil should have the same thickness when hot.
In the end, the difference in 5W20 and 0W20 is vanishingly small at all reasonable temperatures.

·
Banned
792 Posts
20W50 pours like honey. I used it in my full-race prepped 1982 Suzuki Katana 1100. Those were the days. Burnt a lot of rubber.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Keep this in mind about multi-visc motor oils. In comparing a 0W-20 to a 5W-20, both oils will perform like a 20W oil at operating temperatures. Unless you are in a very cold environment (below zero) you won't see much difference in the cold-flow characteristics.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
20W50 in the winter, wow! I can only imagine. I've tryed pouring straight 40 weight for my diesel, I've tryed pumping 15W40 using an air pump from a few thousand gallon storage tank, very SLOW process!!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (Big B @ Jun 3 2010, 09:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=329409
20W50 in the winter, wow! I can only imagine. I've tryed pouring straight 40 weight for my diesel, I've tryed pumping 15W40 using an air pump from a few thousand gallon storage tank, very SLOW process!!!
When I took my then new Sonata to my dealer for the first oil change, they used 20W50. When I
noticed it on the receipt, I ran straight over to my quickie oil change and put in 10W30. Next time
I went for a change, I asked what oil they were going to use, and they said 10W30. Don't know
what that was about!

·
Registered
41 Posts
This is the first thread that I have seen where actual geography points are mentioned and that is what my question is on. Hope it doesn't get lost in the thread. I am a car guy but get confused with all the numbers and letters of the oils out there. I am looking to go full synthetic on my YF but I am not sure what oil to get for my region. I live in Phoenix, AZ and will prolly never see temps below 20 degrees, and I do tent to drive hard at times and about 70/30 for highway/stop-n-go. That being said what would my best options be for the oil weight?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
QUOTE (IDZERO @ Jun 24 2010, 01:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=335844
This is the first thread that I have seen where actual geography points are mentioned and that is what my question is on. Hope it doesn't get lost in the thread. I am a car guy but get confused with all the numbers and letters of the oils out there. I am looking to go full synthetic on my YF but I am not sure what oil to get for my region. I live in Phoenix, AZ and will prolly never see temps below 20 degrees, and I do tent to drive hard at times and about 70/30 for highway/stop-n-go. That being said what would my best options be for the oil weight?
The most obvious option would be the factory recommended weight which I assume is 5W-20 for your car.

I have used Mobil 1 for 35 yrs with no probs. Most recently, I put six quarts of Pennzoil Platinum (also a synthetic) in one of my Sonata's simply because that's all Walleyworld (aka walmart) had in 5W-20 flavor. No probs. there either.

Nowadays, synthetics are not all that much higher than a good dino oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts