Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The shifts in my sonata were really smooth when I first got it new but now I can feel all of them especially in the lower gears. The car has about 83K miles on it and a trans fluid flush and fill is NOT REQUIRED until 105K miles.

I think a fluid flush and fill might take care of it. What do you guys think? I have one of those vacuum fluid extractor tools so its really not a big deal...

IF a flush and fill is in order what do you think about a good fluid to use? I'll have to check the warranty info but I'd guess the drive train is 10 yrs/100K miles and I'm less than a year from 100K so I don't have a big issue with a fluid substitution if anyone has suggestions.

I searched the forums on this topic and found a bunch of varying opinions, but its been a couple of years and maybe the issue is less contreversial now.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You didn't mention which engine you had... but there is a TSB for rough shifts on the 4cyl. I can't remember if there was one for the V6 or not. Although if you never really had rough shifting before I suspect you probably don't need the TSB. I take it that you have never done a transmission fluid change on the car yet? If not, I'd do just a drain and fill. Any SP-III ATF should work, but many have found Castrol Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle to work fine. I've changed mine back at 60k and I'm around 80k now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 09 Sonata Auto Trans, Transmission fluid is supposed to be changed at 30K intervals, First change should be at 30k, then 60K and so on, I just did mine I would strongly recommend using hyundai Genuine Fluid. This will most likely fix your shifting issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I forgot to mention that its a 4 cylinder.

I believe the more frequent 30 K fluid changes are for extreme service. I wouldn't call my driving to be what hyundai describes as extreme service. Its 70 highway miles, 5 days a week. Almost no stop and go or city driving. No dusty roads. I got the 105k interval from my owners manual for regular service. I agree that its too long. I usually change at 75K or so unless I'm having a problem. I would have changed this sooner if I could find a fluid for it that I was confident with.

I dont want to pay 12 bucks a quart unless I really have to. Even the parts guy at the Hyundai dealer told me nobody uses it because of the ridiculous price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drain and fill is what I meant. I'll have to study up on it though.

On my 04 honda odyssey you have to drain, refill it, drive it and repeat two times since you can only get about 3.5 quarts at a time out.

I see there is a thread on this so I'll have to read that. I use a vacuum tool designed for servicing boats that I bought at West marine. It does a very thorough job on my oil changes and it worked well on the odyssey atf change...no mess at all. I suck out the ATF with the vacuum and then remove the drain plug magnets to clean them off. I dont know if it will work on the sonata .... we'll see. If the tube will go down to the pan it will work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My own 09 Sonata started that rough shifting at about 30k miles. I had the tranny flushed and refilled with new fluid. I do a LOT of driving, more than 165k in 18 months. The tranny has never had a problem since.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Compared to a transmission repair, $12/quart is cheap. :)
John
Castrol multi-import at $6 a quart is even cheaper. I have over 40k miles on my Hyundai after the first change with excellent results. If you are tight with money- wall mart has their SPIII spec-ed brand at around $4.50.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts