Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is: will a 2.0L crank from a 2006 work in a 2009 engine...
I think it will BUT those are famous last words...
How about older cranks - my 2001 Tiburon engine looks very similar too, from the outside...

Friend of mine said it knocked for about 30 seconds and then quit - dealer says needs new engine, $4,500+ that she hasn't got to invest in a $6000 Car!

I can pull the engine and plan to inspect everything and replace the crank, bearings, oil pump, and rod(s) at a minimum...
And T-Belt/Water pump with 80K miles on it and seals, gaskets etc
I guess around $300 in parts and $1000 labour (non-dealer rates)

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
I agree. Good chance the block got cracked. Better option to get a used motor. Lots of motors for that car with low miles.... $450 to $600. See car-part.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input, it's helpful to know you guys are out there...
The local pick your part had an '06 with a good motor (rear crashed) and I'm replacing the main/rod bearings (they weren't bad but cheep insurance) seals and timing belt of course. The engine is the same except for the intake, so I'm swapping that. Should be a cheap fix...

The pre 06 crank has different sized main journals (really close but about .018" different) rod journals are the same...

It had a 5 speed and separating the tranny from engine was a mystery until I released the clutch fork shaft completely, the fork/release bearing holds them together somehow. For some reason HyunDIE has 'improved' this method of simply bolting the tranny to the engine, that's been in use for what, 60-70+ years... Good thing to learn at piknPull; practically destroyed the tranny trying to free the sucker. I love pik your part; I look out over the cars and see "a million different ways of doing the exact same thing..."

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Depending in the mileage I would probably only do water pump timing belt and valve cover gasket.

I have put over 200k mikes on 2liter motors with original bottom end and minimal oil consumption.

The pull clutch design I think they got from Mitsubishi not great ; clutch life not great either. Save that flex plate off your old motor; good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would use this website to find a good used engine, complete, and replace it as a unit rather than tearing into it.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

If you're in the USA or Canada, this is a great resource. For instance, searching around my local area for a complete 09 Elantra engine using this site turns up several relatively low mileage engines in the $500 range.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts