Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have an 09 Tucson 85k miles. Have had issues in the past few weeks of the battery draining when the car is parked up. A recovery mechanic checked to make sure the battery (it is the original) is charging ok when being driven and it is. I don't want to buy a new battery if that isn't the problem. He mentioned a charge or drain is probably being made due to old or worn wiring?

·
Registered
8,174 Posts
Parasitic drains are hard to find sometimes. You need a voltmeter set on amps and between the pos battery cable and pos battery post. Then make sure the doors are shut and see what the amp draw is. Be sure to give it 10 minutes or so so everything times out and shuts off. Then start pulling fuses under the hood to see if the amp draw drops down to the 25-30 Milli-amp range.

This will isolate the main circuit it's on but the fuses under the hood may control several sub systems with their own fuses. Then you have to start pulling the interior fuse box fuses. Beware when you open the door the the amp draw will rise again.

Sometimes solid state devices fail and they then draw the amperage higher than normal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Agree with Red Raspberry using a multimeter, you may also use an auto ranging clamp meter without the need to disconnect the battery.

IF current drain is not the issue, then ensure battery is fully charged and if possible use a hydrometer to test battery cells for colour change and specific gravity of electrolyte ( all cells should be of uniform colour and specific gravity.)

A high rate discharge test is then carried out to ensure battery can retain a charge.

Batteries when they age can lose capacity even when unused for short periods due to sulfation and internal shorts, battery life is dependent on many factors and in my experience the average battery may last up to 5 years.

Batteries that are not in frequent use can have their life extended using an automatic type battery charger.

IMPORTANT: never test a battery without full eye protection and gloves

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Been issue with some early Tucson with excessive MEMORY at radio draw.... hook up meter for parasitic draw, and when car go to sleep and have excessive draw, try pulling fuse 13 and see what happen

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
Hello

I have an 09 Tucson 85k miles. Have had issues in the past few weeks of the battery draining when the car is parked up. A recovery mechanic checked to make sure the battery (it is the original) is charging ok when being driven and it is. I don't want to buy a new battery if that isn't the problem. He mentioned a charge or drain is probably being made due to old or worn wiring?
It isn't if "it is charging okay"
It should be more of a load test to see if it can retain the charge
And deliver the needed current when needed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts