Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 cylinder Santa Fe that is having the problem of staying started sometimes. It turns over fine but won't stay running. Sometimes I have to turn it off/on several times before it stays running, and when it does the engine RPMs race when it first starts, then settles down to normal. Even if it is warmed up and I stop somewhere, when I try to start it again it can be difficult to start. The weather has been very cold here, but it's done this a few times in the summer. I've put Heat and Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner in the gas tank, but it's still happening. It has about 90,000 miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :smile:

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
It could be many things that can cause a no start. At this point I can only guess.

You should have it checked first for any codes are present and go from their.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
08 Santa Fe,,,,,,,, which engine ??? 2.7 or 3.3,, as it not call out in post, or seen in profile to display in box at left under username,, along with location to reflect which market we in to provide answer based on market of chassis

Each engine system has it' own quirks,, 2.7 answers may not work well with 3.3,, 2 total different system

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last summer the check engine light did come on. Auto Zone did a diagnostic and said it was the MAF. We replaced it and the light has not come back on since. Could it need to be replaced already, even though the light has not come back on?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
MAF not a common replace part here...

So,, do we have MIL currently,, have we scan it for DTC to know which particular input-output circuit the PCM has seen to have fault ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you tell me what the acronyms stand for (ie- dumb it down) please - MIL, DTC, PCM? I'm guessing we'd have to take it to a shop to run a diagnostic for these?

Is there a specific MAF cleaner I should get?
Would the fact that we live on a gravel road (dirt/dust) cause this to happen?

Thanks for providing assistance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a specific MAF cleaner I should get?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Can you tell me what the acronyms stand for (ie- dumb it down) please - MIL, DTC, PCM?
MIL = Malfunction Indicator Light
DTC = Diagnostic Trouble Code
PCM = Powertrain Control Module

Welcome to the alphabet soup of modern automotive technology. You have much company.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Heh, the original poster has not come back with info, data, reference as requested on his vehicle nor code check.

You can guess all year. Replace everything in the engine compartment. That'll do it. LOL

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Heh, the original poster has not come back with info, data, reference as requested on his vehicle nor code check.

You can guess all year. Replace everything in the engine compartment. That'll do it. LOL
Have you seen the WX reports lately? Since he lives in Minnesota and we're having a harsh winter, he's probably a little reluctant to get outside or in an unheated garage. Nobody can blame him - it's another morning in the 'teens and I'm in the Heart of Dixie!

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Quick answer is yes.
Have seen where the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor prevent engine from running normal.
It is something that is cheap and simple to do.
(remember to take all precautions)
If it works then you're on your way
If it doesn't then you haven't spent a lot of money.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
So are we guessing its a 3.3L. I did go back to the beginning just to be sure and saw no mention of it. Well at least a bit of history was posted.

A lot of factors come to play.
How often is it used.
Was the gas tank real low or run low often. If so water in the tank, pump gone.
Even bad grounds for the ignition like the one on the Strut tower I have dealt with as well can cause problems. He should check and clean that sucker if he hasn't. They don't last that long in the cold rust belt I found and even the bolt thread needs a stern talk with a wire brush before being reinserted.

The computer is likely in a warm place to post from. Its -22C this morning as I type from my perch here. Weather networks say -24C but my own sensor is local outside.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
If its possibly a little flooded a little throttle will make it fire up just enough to move the pedal a bit I have found.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
The computer is likely in a warm place to post from. Its -22C this morning as I type from my perch here. Weather networks say -24C but my own sensor is local outside.
It is outright balmy here in Albany, NY.
A whopping 3 degrees above zero F (-16 C ) ... lol

I don't even want to go outside to clean the snow from the car

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
We had a mild spell for 3 days finishing with rain up to 7C and all the snow was nearly gone after a month of DEC of below -20C all the time and morning -28C to -24C to start our day. Good thing I am on Natural Gas heating. But we had a flash freeze and got a fast blanket of 7-8" of snow. Everything is stiff here. The SF groins on its battery (original I expect but still starts, no block heater for Canadian climate). A big oversite if you're in Winnipeg or the prairies its must have in any vehicle their which likely get -40C often. My new Highlander is equipped with a block heater but still spins and starts in this cold really well. They done something right. LOL

You are just a little further from me on the other side of Lake Ontario. I am on the North Shore. Prince Edward County which pokes out into the lake 25km south of Belleville near Sandbanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
9F here with sun and breeze.... I come home Fri eve,, not left house yet

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Sounds like an island paradise??
I am hoping to be able to move to warmer weather
Probably never happen .. lazy that way ... just like to dream

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
If you like Wine its big wine county now...craft beers place opening up everywhere. Punch in K0K 2T0 in Maps and you'll see Picton and other towns west of it which I am in along the lake but not directly just facing from a distance. LOL

1 - 20 of 40 Posts