Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, have an 08 santa fe and while driving yesterday it just completely died on the side of the road. i jump it and it will sit there and run in park just fine. I can even sit there with it in neutral, revers, or drive and it will be just fine. As soon as i hit the gas in either drive or reverse i move about 10 ft before it dies completely. and it will need to be jumped to start again. its like it loses all power.

I am going to try a few things and will report back what i do and figure out. going to jump it and remove the battery to see if maybe the alternator is taking a crap and not recharging the battery. IDK much about these cars in particular. going to also see what happens if i put it in park and step on the gas or neutral and such.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay so what i have done so far. I let it idle in all gears and it seems to sit there fine. I actually unhooked the battery and let it sit there for a solid half hour or so, hooked the battery up and she kept running. Managed to put it in reverse and back it up another 30 or so feet in my snowy slippery driveway and it actually got up the hill. for shits and giggles like an idiot turned it off then tried to restart it and it wouldn't even attempt which in hindsight makes since as it sat there running unhooked. so i think that should eliminate the alternator.

also did clean the air filter, didn't replace it as i don't have a ride at the moment with mine being stuck in the driveway.

going to throw a quick battery charger on it to see if that makes any sort of difference. What all does the battery run other than starting the car?

i am really stumped as to what else to even try or to look at, at this point.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Why not put a DVOM to battery while running and see what kind of voltage we have with engine running

Better see 14+ volt

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
285 Posts
next time it's running without the jump on it turn the lights on and see if it dies. if it dies out it's most likely just the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it doesn't i left it sitting for like a half hour with just the the 4 ways going, headlights on, and heat blasting and nothing. kept on running. but as soon as i put it in drive and go to move much it dies. i am going leave a battery charger on it overnight i think and see how it does at that point. i unfortunately don't have a voltage meter.

actually left a battery charger on it for a few hours and it start was just dead as ****. jumped it was able to move it back and forth a few times in the driveway before it died again and wasn't able to re-start. i dont think the battery is actually taking a charge.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
285 Posts
how old is the battery? we bought our 08 in jan of 09. it died in june of 14. it was dated 2007. a harbor freight multitester is about 5 bucks. saved me dozens of times

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
It runs fine at idle and dies when you try to put a load on the engine. Have you thought about low fuel pressure? You may have a bad fuel pump.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
You need the right test equipment. Volt meter for certain is a must which are cheap. Get one and follow test in threads as its as old as the hills testing them. Clean connections as well as good cable wiring would be on the list. If its the original battery start with that anyway but the alternator need testing!! Somehow by someone who know what they're doing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I just had a similar problem with my 2008 Santa Fe GLS, 2.7L. Put the key on the ignition and as soon I tried to start the engine the car just died, nothing had power. I jump start and it started. About 200 feet away, the car died while running, no electrical power whatsoever. I jump start again, it did start but died again while running shortly after. Installed a new battery and it needed a jump start to crank. At this point I'm on a parking lot and let it on idle for about 10 min. Turned the key off to see if it had charged and the lights on the panel turned off but engine kept running. I was able to start the car and drive it to my house but when I turned the engine off it wouldn't start again. When this happens, everything dies, horn, radio, panel, etc. I'm thinking maybe a problem with the ignition switch or a bad ground cable somewhere. It's dark now so I'll check again tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You have a ten year old car in an area where salt is used on the highways during winter - and there's been some serious winter weather in the Midwest this season. Check and clean every ground connection you can find. Likewise the battery cable clamps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you DSHornet. I found the problem this morning. The battery ground cable had some corrosion where it attaches to the battery terminal and it was a little loose. Cleaned all connections with a wire brush and problem solve. BTW, you're absolutely right about the use of salt on roads. I recently moved here from Florida so I'm still learning the additional issues cars develop under this weather.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts