Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doing my front rotors and pads on my 08' GLS.
I had the car jacked up and couldnt get the rotor screws out.
Im not currently in a position to mingle with time (Work and Law School) or else I would get this information myself by getting under the car, but:

I need to know:

1) Where I can find replacement screws for the rotors (screws that hold the rotors into place)
2) I'm buying an impact driver to help remove the screws, what size should I get to fit the screw(s)?

Thanks ahead of time!

Troy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The screws are not needed are are only their for when the car is manufactured and on the production line.
Are you sure?
I might not have been specific enough.
This is not my image, nor my car, but the same location / idea.

These are the screws I am referring to.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The man speaks the truth. Wheel studs and nuts are doing the holding.

Law student working on his own car---cool.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I presume you are talking about brake DISC screws? Some aftermarket pads and discs kits in Europe come with new screws in the kit.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I drilled them out and don't have the screws holding the rotors onto the hub anymore. The studs and lug nuts are doing that now.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah but, when your wheel falls off you might lose your rotor too.
Not really, the caliper and caliper mounting bracket hold it on. But it doesn't matter, if a wheel falls off the car will ride on the rotors and wear them down big time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, those are not needed. Only for manufacturing purposes to stop the rotors from falling off when on the assembly line.[/Q

Just for future reference though, the rotor cannot be removed without first removing these screws, correct? And most likely will need an impact wrench or drill to remove??

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just for future reference though, the rotor cannot be removed without first removing these screws, correct? And most likely will need an impact wrench or drill to remove??
Correct.
Phillips Impact screwdriver you need to try first.
(hit during turn, Impact Screwdriver Set with Case )

My front rotor screws were easily came out,
but rear rotor screws were frozen and I stripped the screw heads,
finally I drilled out those screws with 4 drill bits,
drilling first small then larger bits. (spray some oil or WD40 to cool drilling heat)
then new rotors are installed without screws. just fine.

Details here:::
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/1297901-post35.html

·
Registered
689 Posts
front ones came off with a #3 phillips and 10 good whacks of a hammer but rears needed to be drilled out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used an off-the-shelf old school Craftsman impact driver with a #4 Phillips tip. Worked like a charm. If all else fails, drill them out. As was said above, they are only in actual use during the manufacturing process of the vehicle.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have an impact driver and it couldn't budge those screws. All are correct, drill the heads off and forget about it. Most cars don't have them. I remember some cars that had a flat spring clip pressed onto one of the wheel studs for the same purpose. They just keep the rotor in place until the caliper goes on. Actually having the rotor immobilized during a pad replacement is nice . I ran on three lug nuts with a few washers under them to take up the space while I serviced the caliper

1 - 18 of 18 Posts