Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 08 accent has about 275,000 km on it. Last winter, it began pausing mid start for about 1 second, then continuing to start. The starter also started making some odd noises so I had it replaced with a new one. But the pause is still there. Not all the time, but once every 2 or 3 days, the starter will begin to spin over as normal, pause for 1 second, then continue until the car starts.

Any ideas? The battery is fine, the alternator is putting out the correct voltage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just to confirm, when you say the battery is "fine" did you actually load-test it? Also, did you check the negative ground strap connection underneath the battery tray for excessive corrosion?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Sounds like a bad pulley or bearing
When it goes around, there is a portion with higher resistance to turning
Thus it causes the engine to hesitate at that spot
Where is it? Don't know.
It could be one of the accessory pulleys or even be the crank shaft???
Is it possible that a valve is sticking to prevent the valve from opening on the intake??
Thus causing it to be harder to crank? Doubtful??

But, from first accounts, I would have suspected the starter also
Then suspect the battery.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to confirm, when you say the battery is "fine" did you actually load-test it? Also, did you check the negative ground strap connection underneath the battery tray for excessive corrosion?
I'' test the battery again here at my work with the electronic load analyzer we have. And I'll also check that ground. I wasn't aware there was one there. Thanks for the info!
Sounds like a bad pulley or bearing
When it goes around, there is a portion with higher resistance to turning
Thus it causes the engine to hesitate at that spot
Where is it? Don't know.
It could be one of the accessory pulleys or even be the crank shaft???
Is it possible that a valve is sticking to prevent the valve from opening on the intake??
Thus causing it to be harder to crank? Doubtful??

But, from first accounts, I would have suspected the starter also
Then suspect the battery.
The car *does* have some belt noise, especially on damp days.
A sticking valve alarms me. Wouldn't there be a telltale miss, vibration or noise if a valve was occasionally sticking?

The starter is new, and the original and this one both do the same thing, the original starter was getting noisy but still turned the car over fine.

Again, thanks for the info. I've got some sleuthing work to do!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts