Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased this car new. 2008 GLS w/ V6 2.7L engine. Wife's car, so I rarely drive it.
She's complained for a month about an intermittant issue with the jar "jerking", usually during slow speeds.
I felt it for the first time myself. Was halfway through a pretty tight curve at around 20 MPH, starting to slowly accelerate when I felt a definitive lurch. might have been momentary loss of acceleration, or transmission. Not sure which. No CEL thrown.

I did see another thread mentioning a 2007 with a similar issue, but that person had codes thrown that pointed to a Throttle position sensor and a need to reflash a transmission. Think I'm seeing the same situation, or would this be different ? Absent any CEL, i'm sure the dealer will not be able to find it.... thoughts ?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2.7 and 3.3 both have TPS concern and PCM upgrade to go along with the TPS replacement..

Specify to the service facility that when the follow the TSB, when it comes to the program, they is to use the latest 2.7 ECM UPGRADE, not the original (outdated) 2135/2106/1295 program.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the insight sbr711. To be clear - you're saying that prior to the 2.7 version of code - you would lay down 3 versions in a certain order (i.e. 2135, then 2106, then 1295) ?

QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 31 2010, 05:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346403
2.7 and 3.3 both have TPS concern and PCM upgrade to go along with the TPS replacement..

Specify to the service facility that when the follow the TSB, when it comes to the program, they is to use the latest 2.7 ECM UPGRADE, not the original (outdated) 2135/2106/1295 program.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
The 2.7 and 3.3 with the electric throttle will toss a (3) code set consisting of 2135, 2106, and 1295.... repair is to replace the throttle position sensor assembly, and program.... there is a more current program to use, the one in the related TPS bulletin is outdated, use the most recent 2.7 ECM UPGRADE, contains the previous program info, and more new stuff in the program to bring it upp to date

·
Registered
947 Posts
I know my 2008/2.7/awd will jerk hard into 2nd gear the first time I take off cold from a parking space. It's usually when I'm going very slow in first and not steady on the go pedal. Kind of annoying, but it's always done it and it's only under those exact conditions. Other than that it shifts and behaves flawlessly.

Joel

·
Registered
132 Posts
QUOTE (PoMansAWD @ Jul 31 2010, 07:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346425
I know my 2008/2.7/awd will jerk hard into 2nd gear the first time I take off cold from a parking space. It's usually when I'm going very slow in first and not steady on the go pedal. Kind of annoying, but it's always done it and it's only under those exact conditions. Other than that it shifts and behaves flawlessly.

Joel

Mine has been doing the exact same thing lately. It usually just does it once and then after that its almost invisible shifts as usual. I'm not too worried about it unless it starts to do it more than once.

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (scooterb @ Jul 31 2010, 02:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346379
Purchased this car new. 2008 GLS w/ V6 2.7L engine. Wife's car, so I rarely drive it.
She's complained for a month about an intermittant issue with the jar "jerking", usually during slow speeds.
I felt it for the first time myself. Was halfway through a pretty tight curve at around 20 MPH, starting to slowly accelerate when I felt a definitive lurch. might have been momentary loss of acceleration, or transmission. Not sure which. No CEL thrown.

I did see another thread mentioning a 2007 with a similar issue, but that person had codes thrown that pointed to a Throttle position sensor and a need to reflash a transmission. Think I'm seeing the same situation, or would this be different ? Absent any CEL, i'm sure the dealer will not be able to find it.... thoughts ?
Hi, I recently purchased the same car, used, and am having a very similar problem. The hesitation/jerking happens at low and high speeds..I turned on the cruise control the other day @80mph and the car went nuts, my passenger was extremely concerned.

I brought the car in about a month ago and they could find no codes, and it acted prim and proper the whole time it was at the shop, even while I went on a drive with the mechanic. Then we came home and it started up again.

I am wholly uneducated and trying to make sense of the expert response in this thread...can anyone help me understand TPS and CEL and the other terms? I have to take the car back to the shop, is there anything I can do to help show/explain the problem this time if it refuses to demo for the mechanic again? Thanks for any help!

Lisa

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (sofaking6 @ Aug 18 2010, 06:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350242
Hi, I recently purchased the same car, used, and am having a very similar problem. The hesitation/jerking happens at low and high speeds..I turned on the cruise control the other day @80mph and the car went nuts, my passenger was extremely concerned.

I brought the car in about a month ago and they could find no codes, and it acted prim and proper the whole time it was at the shop, even while I went on a drive with the mechanic. Then we came home and it started up again.

I am wholly uneducated and trying to make sense of the expert response in this thread...can anyone help me understand TPS and CEL and the other terms? I have to take the car back to the shop, is there anything I can do to help show/explain the problem this time if it refuses to demo for the mechanic again? Thanks for any help!

Lisa
Walk in a ask the to perform TSB 10-FL-010 (came out this month) and supercedes previous editions...

Assuming yours is a 2.7 V6 ----

Install TPS part number --> 35107-3E100-FFF (2.7L),,, and install program (should be) #177 (2.7L) ---> use latest program available !!

Now for the terms :

CEL --> MIL for the uneducated

MIL ---> Correct OBD-II term for Malfunction Indicator Light

OBD-II ---> On Board Diagnostics 2, second generation of diagnostics in which we have ability to monitor data stream, reprogram ROM, saves freeze frame data when troble code set to see operating conditions at time code was set. There is a host of other stuff I could likely bore you with..

TPS ---> Throttle Position Sensor, tells PCM the throttle angle

PCM ---> Power Train Control Module, engine computer, engine contol unit

Have dealer run VIN on WEBDCS for recalls, possible 092 brake light switch if not done/available,,, or send me VIN via instant message here on site, and I will run VIN tomorrow and see what warranty claims been filed in past to get better feel for car.

Pics enclosed are Azera I did recently, identical process --

Attachments

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Aug 19 2010, 12:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350453
You may already know, but it's usually easier to read it off your registration than it is through the little cutout in the windshield.

Open the door and read it off the tag in the door jamb....

3.3 Santa Fe here prior to lunch -- 35107-3C100-FFF for the 3,3 on the left, old part on right..

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (canderson @ Aug 19 2010, 12:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350453
You may already know, but it's usually easier to read it off your registration than it is through the little cutout in the windshield.
I texted it to my ex-bf while I was looking at the car so I just keep it in my cell phone now :) I work on a secure floor in my building though so the cell phone has to stay in the car.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Reply sent to person who sent me message with VIN this morning...

Had latest upgrade done, but no claim for TPS replacement..

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 20 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=350710
Reply sent to person who sent me message with VIN this morning...

Had latest upgrade done, but no claim for TPS replacement..
Temp update...took the car in the shop yesterday...was hesitating/jerking all the way there. Mechanic gets in the car with me for test drive and magically she rides smooth as can be.

I curse, feel like crying, hate the world.

I left it there to see if they could try starting it cold this morning..haven't heard anything yet. They will not perform TSB without seeing the behavior or related codes. If I can't get it fixed, I will just have to trade it in.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (sofaking6 @ Aug 26 2010, 04:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352150
Temp update...took the car in the shop yesterday...was hesitating/jerking all the way there. Mechanic gets in the car with me for test drive and magically she rides smooth as can be.

I curse, feel like crying, hate the world.

I left it there to see if they could try starting it cold this morning..haven't heard anything yet. They will not perform TSB without seeing the behavior or related codes. If I can't get it fixed, I will just have to trade it in.

Ask them if they hooked up the GDS and scann for DTC..... you (sofaking6) want to see the actual print of the fault code search. Did they even do a search to look for hiding codes ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 26 2010, 05:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352162
Ask them if they hooked up the GDS and scann for DTC..... you (sofaking6) want to see the actual print of the fault code search. Did they even do a search to look for hiding codes ?

Ok I will ask them..I'm also going to ask them to provide me with some kind of document certifying that they have inspected the vehicle and found it defect-free, that I could use when I shop it as a trade-in. Is there a standard document of this sort?

They say that they ran it today and it seems fine. This car is driving me insane.

I'm not kidding when I tell you that this car has now at least sprained, possibly fractured, my wrist, from jerking so hard.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (sofaking6 @ Aug 26 2010, 05:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352163
Ok I will ask them..I'm also going to ask them to provide me with some kind of document certifying that they have inspected the vehicle and found it defect-free, that I could use when I shop it as a trade-in. Is there a standard document of this sort?

They say that they ran it today and it seems fine. This car is driving me insane.

I'm not kidding when I tell you that this car has now at least sprained, possibly fractured, my wrist, from jerking so hard.
Pick up the phone and call a few more dealers and tell them you have Santa Fe that is acting goofy (buck/jerk/no accell, and you have been told to replace the TPS with updated part, but you have no DTC, and you have been told by a Hyundai Gold tech that is the problem, will thy take care of replacement and program without supporting documentation off of GDS..

Call around and see where that get you, if they will help.. Print this thread and take it to them...

·
Registered
6 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 26 2010, 06:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352190
Pick up the phone and call a few more dealers and tell them you have Santa Fe that is acting goofy (buck/jerk/no accell, and you have been told to replace the TPS with updated part, but you have no DTC, and you have been told by a Hyundai Gold tech that is the problem, will thy take care of replacement and program without supporting documentation off of GDS..

Call around and see where that get you, if they will help.. Print this thread and take it to them...
How much do you think it would cost me to buy the part and pay for the replacement? Where could I get the part from?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (sofaking6 @ Aug 27 2010, 01:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352311
How much do you think it would cost me to buy the part and pay for the replacement? Where could I get the part from?
Part is only available at Hyundai dealer part counter...

Part is not expensive, I want to say about $50 (that a guess)

2 part number available --

2.7 L = 35107-3E100-FFF & 2.7 ECM upgrade

3.3 L = 35107-3C100-FFF & 3.3 ECM upgrade

Dealer should have a couple of each if they any good, or hit the Kia dealer if closer.. Programs have to be done by Hyundai dealer..

There is program update associated with replacement of sensor.. it is not too hard to do (3 #20 TORX screws hold sensor to throttle body), but due to fit of o-ring and align of fingers, might be best left to dealer or good tech when installing the sensor..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Quick follow-up issue...

I had this precise problem with my 2008 3.3 Limited. Dealer replaced the TPS and did the ECM upgrade about 6 weeks ago, and no problems or warning lights since.

The only nagging thing is that ever since, it seems that I've got no 'passing power' on the highway. All power seems available at city speeds - plenty of guts as before. Is it possible the ECM upgrade wasn't done or somehow done improperly (or with an older version)?

Or, maybe I'm just imagining things and mis-remembering the 'snap of the neck'/'passing gear' kickdown between 100-120 (or 60-75mph) that I thought I used to have!?

Not sure how to get the dealer to confirm the correct upgrade (they weren't going to give me the tech's report with the bad three codes on it either, until I went back in and asked for a copy!).

Thanks for any advice...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts