Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 08 Elantra. It has rolled down a hill while in Park on an incline a few times now. It’s definitely in Park but it makes a clunking popping sound as it rolls down. I have to take it out of Park, Put it back in and it’s fine. I’m not talking just a slight roll back. I need to hit the breaks to stop it. I took it to Aamco because my regular mechanic doesn’t do transmissions. They said it was the shifting cable which the dealer said he would take care of. However the more that I’m reading about the parking pawl I’m thinking that is the problem. Has anyone else had this issue? Could the shifting cable cause it to make that popping sound? I’ve had no problems getting it into gear while it is flat. I would appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
***Verify cable attached to pin at shifter in console,, RECALL to add retainer to shifter pin,, been a bunch who claim install and not actually have retainer installed.. That where I be looking first, as the addition of retainer was to keep cable from popping off shifter and prevent roll away from not moving arm fully to park position in transmission ***

Got VIN -- message it to me with note what it for..

Verify select shaft if is fully in the "P" position, and verify cable to arm is correct,,, shift cable not been a replace item in 14yr of Hyundai here, except for (1) I broke the end off of when re-attach to arm at selector shaft on top of transmission

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I’m having a hard time understanding what you’re saying. Are you saying there’s a recall? Are you asking for my VIN?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I dont think the shifter retainer carried back into the HD Elantra,, seems to me it start with the UD/MD Elantra,, but it wont hurt to look inside console and see if cable end walking off shifter pin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts