Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to get my '08 Accent inspected, and we observed that the right side and the 3rd brake lights were out. Replaced the bulb on the right side and still out. Not even going to attempt the 3rd light until I can get more info, because the odds of a complete LED strip quitting all at once are, well, remote enough to be laughable.

I checked the RH tail lamp fuse - connection still good. Might try swapping it out anyway just for the **** of it.

Please note, the left side brake light still works, so I'm doubtful that this is the notorious brake light switch that was recalled - unless such an issue has indeed been reported with said switch...

Other than that, I'm game for suggestions - harness? Relay? Some other wiring issue? Anything you can offer to narrow it down is appreciated...

·
Registered
763 Posts
man, im riding on 3 right now - it honestly happens alot. Im not sure what exactly it is on yours, mine has always been just bulbs. Check the wiring, might be loose ends.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't there a recall on the brake light switch? Could it cover this issue?
Yes there is, but no it doesn't. Brake light switch failing would have all three out. Either way, I took it into the shop, come to find out the third brake light actually had failed (got water in it and shorted the whole thing apparently) and the right side, while it has a new bulb, it doesn't burn as bright as the left side, and in direct sun I really couldn't see it.

Meanwhile, I have a new project - trying to ascertain whether the PN for the 3rd light is the same across '06-'11 and whether it's the same for the 5-door and 3-door versions - if it is, I can get one from either an '07 or a '10 for $40 including freight tested coming from a boneyard in OH. Otherwise, it's $130 new coming from Hyundai...

350 Posts
Shop around. With a few phone calls I found a dealer willing to sell me one for about $100 delivered. Never saw a price that low for one on the internet- had to ask.

None of the scrapyards offered any guarantee that theirs weren't water damaged, what few still had one anyway.

Before I installed it I spent a few minutes applying sealant to all the seams. I don't want the replacement to go the way the original did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts