Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive seen this is an issue posted all over, but I just want to see what the common solve is. Both headlights are out on my accent, no low beams, but I have highbeams if I hold the flasher but not if i switch them on. I've replaced the headlights and that wasnt it. I checked the fuses and they are fine too. At this point I can't figure it out, is it the switch, is there a relay I'm totally missing for the headlights?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Check to see if you have 12 volts at the headlamp socket
If you do then it is probably the stalk light switch
On my Elantra, the headlamps are ground switched through the stalk light switch

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Here is the wire diagrams to test for voltage. Then you can try voltage drop at the low beams to determine resistance in the circuit. You can check at different points back to the fuse box to determine the high resistance. A headlight may appear to have 12v but not light up so a voltage drop test is a must to find the problem. This test must be done under load with the low beams on while you do this. Google voltage drop on you tube to learn how. You can do this with a simple dc volt meter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Under load means the headlights remain plugged in and you must back probe while they are on to take a voltage drop reading! use a T pin to enter the connector of both e22 e23. Realfixexesrealfast has a great video series on youtube on this exact problem. He is a certified tech and lays this out on a test board and baby steps you through voltage drop. Great resource....

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,096 Posts
Being an AUTOSPARK, I just love voltage drop testing. But I really wouldn't bother it in this particular case. The high beam headlamps illuminating when you pull the stalk back tells you the power supply to the lamps is OK and wiring between the switch and the lamps is more than likely all good too.

As avisitor suggests, a faulty stalk switch seems the most likely cause of both high & low beam headlamps failing. You could do a bypass test on the switch to confirm.

There are two ways to bypass the switch :
1)..... disconnect the switch and use a short link wire to bridge terminal 12 to 14 on connector M31. That should make the high beam illuminate. And bridging terminal 12 to 15 should make the low beam illuminate.

2)..... leave the switch connected and simply back probe a ground wire into terminal 11 of M31. That should make both the high and low beam headlamps work again.

Regards.
Scott.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Always right on Autospark...... guess if we keep on teaching everyone all these hidden secrets the mechanics will be loosing business. I self educated myself on vehicle repair and testing. This site is a wonderful resource..... That's why I joined and only use this site.

wonder how much that oem part costs..... don't want to know.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
)..... leave the switch connected and simply back probe a ground wire into terminal 11 of M31. That should make both the high and low beam headlamps work again.
if you supply a ground and it works at 11 of m31 that's a smart test because the diagram shows the switch at rest supplies the ground all the time(computer supplied switched ground) If both lights come on then the whole circuit is perfect and the fault is the switch. Cool

Just don't make a mistake of applying a power to this or you will fry the computer. :eek:

·
Registered
8,479 Posts
I've taken the switches off other cars and drenched them in WD40 while working all the switches. Work good a new after that and no problem the years after. Seems sometimes the factory grease gets hard and interferes with the operation of the switches.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,096 Posts
if you supply a ground and it works at 11 of m31 that's a smart test because the diagram shows the switch at rest supplies the ground all the time(computer supplied switched ground) If both lights come on then the whole circuit is perfect and the fault is the switch. Cool
What's even cooler about this test is you can apply the ground to terminal 11 without even removing the steering cowlings. Just apply it at connector EC01 terminal 5. I'm not familiar with this particular model but connector EC01 is usually on the engine bay fusebox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts