Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Maybe someone can help me?

Periodically the key won't turn in the ignition. The key goes in and pulls out easily but won't budge when turned. Turning the wheel left or right makes no difference. I've lubed the ignition with graphite dry lube. Yesterday it was happening while on a slight incline. I released the parking brake, the car shifted slightly and instantly freed up the key. So now I'm wondering if it's really the ignition cylinder or some sort of interlock issue. Wishing for some clarity, that way I don't go replacing the wrong part.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
I am trying to understand how the drive train would even affect the ignition key??
Could it possibly be the gear selector isn't in position?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There you go. Be careful not to have the drivetrain under pressure.
It happens when the car is dead level, arbitrarily. The slight incline was my driveway and I pull up the parking brake before even putting it in park, so no pressure. The slight movement of releasing the parking brake and taking my foot off the brake, freed up the key.

I am trying to understand how the drive train would even affect the ignition key??
Could it possibly be the gear selector isn't in position?
That's the thing. I'm wondering if the gear selection is not being recognized or something. I don't want to buy an ignition if it's not going to fix the issue.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
Have heard others having issues with taking the key out
They will disconnect the battery in order to remove the key.
So, maybe if it is the gear selector then would disconnecting the battery work??
I don't know. Just guessing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts