Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 2007 Sonata GLS/Xm with 47,140km. This one has a V6. It drives very smoothly, which I like, but I am wondering about the reliability of a v6 vs a 2.4l. Anything I should beware of? Consumer Reports only rates the 2.4l. I am hoping to drive this car 10,000km/year for at least the next six years. Thanks,
Debbie

·
Registered
55 Posts
We've owned our '07 Hyundai Sonata I4 since new and we're currently sitting at 155xxx KMs (97000 miles) with scheduled oil changes at 5000-8000km intervals. So far, very reliable with exception to a few trim pieces falling off.

The '09 V6 on the other hand was purchased 2 years old used with 95000 KMs (59000 Miles) and it's currently sitting at 142,000 KM (89000 Miles) with the same oil change schedule. Both are doing fine. The quality of the '09 is definitely higher than the '06-'08 models.

I drive the cars pretty hard with a mix of both highway and city. The engine seems much more balanced on the I4 than the V6. In my opinion, I think the I4 will last longer than the V6.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 2007 has not been reliable, but it has had nothing to do with the engine, really.

The main problems in NF Sonatas aren't really engines, maybe with the exception of the V6 timing chain tensioner. The main problem areas are the air bag systems, fuel tank emissions systems and in my car the ABS/ESC systems.

These problems are especially frustrating because even the dealer sometimes isn't very good at diagnosing them. We have an active tech here, SBR711, who clearly knows is stuff, but my experience is that he may be above average when it comes to dealer techs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am looking at buying a 2007 Sonata GLS/Xm with 47,140km. This one has a V6. It drives very smoothly, which I like, but I am wondering about the reliability of a v6 vs a 2.4l. Anything I should beware of? Consumer Reports only rates the 2.4l. I am hoping to drive this car 10,000km/year for at least the next six years. Thanks,
Debbie
I looked at truedelta but they don't have distinction between V6 and I4, consumer reports on the other hand does. The main differences in reliability for 2007 Sonata are problems with engine actually! I4 engines are rock solid for 2007 and V6 is average for major problems and below average for minor problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts