Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a few weeks now I've noticed that my fuel gauge is giving me wrong readings and constantly re-adjust itself. I'll start my car and the indicator will read a 1/4 tank even though I know I have 3/4 of tank. After 20 mins of driving the indicator will then change to a different reading (about 1/4tank difference from the original reading) to another incorrect reading or sometimes the correct reading. I have searched the forum and noticed that broken fuel level sensors is a common problem with my car. However in most cases that i've read about, the check engine light also comes on, in my case it hasnt. I brought my car to a hyundai dealer and they told me they couldn't really do anything since they cant read any codes that would be causing the problem (also my fuel level gauge just happened to be reading the correct number that day).
So I want to know if anybody else has had this similar problem and if so know what can be done to fix it, besides changing both sensors at random to find the broken one.
The dealer told me to keep driing my car until the check engine light comes on or bring it in one day while it's clearly showing an incorrect reading.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Right and left tank level sensors have problems and can be changed from back seat access without dropping tank.

Lots of posts on thus if you do a search; pricy sensors from Canadian dealers.

Might want to use fleabag or maybe parts from US dealer.

Oh yeah bienvenue.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
For a few weeks now I've noticed that my fuel gauge is giving me wrong readings and constantly re-adjust itself. I'll start my car and the indicator will read a 1/4 tank even though I know I have 3/4 of tank. After 20 mins of driving the indicator will then change to a different reading (about 1/4tank difference from the original reading) to another incorrect reading or sometimes the correct reading. I have searched the forum and noticed that broken fuel level sensors is a common problem with my car. However in most cases that i've read about, the check engine light also comes on, in my case it hasnt. I brought my car to a hyundai dealer and they told me they couldn't really do anything since they cant read any codes that would be causing the problem (also my fuel level gauge just happened to be reading the correct number that day).
So I want to know if anybody else has had this similar problem and if so know what can be done to fix it, besides changing both sensors at random to find the broken one.
The dealer told me to keep driing my car until the check engine light comes on or bring it in one day while it's clearly showing an incorrect reading.
If it's a sticking float, you could throw in a can of Seafoam and see if it fixes it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's the sensors. They are notorious I just changed the right one quite some time ago and the left one has held. I probably should not say this. I could be out changing the other one tomorrow. I paid 80 something and some dealers wanted over 100. Is Canada higher? In my searches I discovered Hyundai OEM parts are much cheaper in Korea but they won't ship here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the same problem with 2007 Santa Fe Limited (3.3 liter). One of the fuel tank level sensors failed. Sometimes the check engine light cleared after filling up with gas. I had the sensor replaced after check engine light stayed on constantly.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Side note,, there is no reason for anybody to run out of fuel over the fuel level sensor fault..

Ideally everybody should have in the past done full refuel and mileage checks to know how far a load of fuel should average, thus driver can "zero" on of the trip meter and use it as a fuel useage meter and plan to refuel at "x" miles, then reset trip odometer..

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
... and in the process, they'll quickly find out just HOW pessimistic the fuel senders on these vehicles really are. Running the thing to empty on the gauge, and using the DTE to hit 30 miles, then driving 30 miles in the "---" state, it's a rare thing not to find a fill limit of about 17 gallons out of the 19.8 capacity!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dte?

... and in the process, they'll quickly find out just HOW pessimistic the fuel senders on these vehicles really are. Running the thing to empty on the gauge, and using the DTE to hit 30 miles, then driving 30 miles in the "---" state, it's a rare thing not to find a fill limit of about 17 gallons out of the 19.8 capacity!
What's that?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
What's what? :confused:

Understanding that DTE looks at recent driving history, so assuming you continue to drive similarly -- The displayed DTE after a fill is typically VERY low compared to reality. Like the gauges, it seems to be calculating remaining fuel based upon about a 17 gallon tank, not the 19.8 that exists.

I doubt most drivers know how many miles they can REALLY expect on a full tank.

While sbr suggests that people will know this, the problem I noted previously will prevent most drivers from ever knowing for sure how far they'll get on a tank of gas - it's more miles than most would imagine. You'd need to have ignored the gauge and DTE readings to and just computed distance with average mileage (real miles and gallons used) against the supposed nominal 19.8 gallon capacity of the tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts