Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the coil from (if looking from the front of the engine)
it will be under the plenum on the left side.
i dont have it apart yet and dont know if i need a 2 or 3 prong coil?
wanted to order the part before i tear it down.
any help?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
There is some confusion about whether all 2.7L engines had 2 pin on one side (left bank = front) and 3 on the other (right bank = rear). When there's been a reason to pull them, we have only seen 2.7L CM engines with 3 pins on BOTH banks. Unfortunately, it's the rear bank that always seems to be in question.

I assume you have a P035X code for the cylinder in question?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I should point out from the above that you can safely assume you have a 3 pin in the rear no matter what is found in the front.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should point out from the above that you can safely assume you have a 3 pin in the rear no matter what is found in the front.
ok thanks a million !!!

the code said misfire on bank 1...didnt get the code number but this happened last year and it was doing the same thing its doing now and it stated misfire...took it to the dealer and it was a coil..
im about 90% sure it is the coil and im not taking it to the dealer this time...gonna do it myself.
it cost me $100 for a tow to the dealer and $100 deductible for my extended warranty so i can save some money doing it myself..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also whats the deal with it always being in the back? coincidence?
or a problem with moisture?

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Murphy's Law, pure and simple.

Just be sure you know which coil, and better yet, which code # you're dealing with. The system is pretty sensitive to the impedance of the LV side of the coil, so I'd look for P035X codes there. Ordinary misfires of the P030X type can indicate just a plug issue. Of course, if you have to rip into everything anyway ...

How many miles on the plugs?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Murphy's Law, pure and simple.

Just be sure you know which coil, and better yet, which code # you're dealing with. The system is pretty sensitive to the impedance of the LV side of the coil, so I'd look for P035X codes there. Ordinary misfires of the P030X type can indicate just a plug issue. Of course, if you have to rip into everything anyway ...

How many miles on the plugs?
i dont have my own code reader (i did just order one though :))
i went to autozone to get it read.
i have 59000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Might be worth a trip back to Autozone for another read, and let us know exactly what turned up.

That's a very low mileage '07. If there's nothing else amiss, they probably look great, and aren't likely to be the culprit.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Might be worth a trip back to Autozone for another read, and let us know exactly what turned up.

That's a very low mileage '07. If there's nothing else amiss, they probably look great, and aren't likely to be the culprit.
ok im back from Autozone

codes are

p0301
p0137 (im thinking this one is from the p0301 issue?)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i was able to loosen and turn the coil and the rear and the front have 2 pin NOT 3 pin.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
The P0301 indicates a misfire on cylinder 1. Nothing specific to the coil here.

The P0137 is a separate O2 sensor issue (bank 1 - the side closest to the firewall again), sensor after the cat converter). Given the age, it's possible that it's real. This code indicates a low voltage. If the exhaust were running rich due to the misfire, if anything, the voltage would be high instead and you'd have gotten a P0138. So I'm comfortable (for now) that these are unrelated.

That leaves us back with your P0301. If your #1 coil had an open or short, that would be detected by itself, and you'd get a P0351 code. The primary side is easy to measure with a decent DVM. Should be pretty close to 7Kohms, give or take. On your 3 pin connector, you can measure that on pins 1 and 3 (the outside two pins). The secondary side is trickier because most meters and probes don't do a great job at really low impedance, but you can give it a try. From pin 2 to the coil output to the plug, you should get something in the neighborhood of 0.6 ohms.

If the coil measures out correctly, and since you'll be back in there digging around, you need to have a look at plug #1 to make sure that isn't the issue.

It's bound to be one or the other. Once you've replaced whichever it is, clear the codes, drive it around a bit, and have it scanned again to see if anything pops up.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
By the way - odds of the a coil going south once isn't very high - we see it, but not all that often, but the same one going twice ? -- pretty slim. I wonder if by any chance they legitimately replaced a coil last time but didn't check to see what condition the plug was in after all of the misfires.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By the way - odds of the a coil going south once isn't very high - we see it, but not all that often, but the same one going twice ? -- pretty slim. I wonder if by any chance they legitimately replaced a coil last time but didn't check to see what condition the plug was in after all of the misfires.
its not the same cylinder..it was #3 last time.
also all my coils only have 2 pins so i cancelled the order for the 3 pin coil i just ordered..

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Say what? This is a 2.7L 2007 engine? (I can't see page 1 of this thread at the moment, but I'd swear that's what you'd said). The 3.3L engine is the only one of that year that I've ever seen fully populated with ONLY 2 pin connectors, front and rear.

Went back to look, and yup. We've been talking 2.7. That's just too strange. You'll have to order a "left bank" coil, even though you plan to install on the "right bank".

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Say what? This is a 2.7L 2007 engine? (I can't see page 1 of this thread at the moment, but I'd swear that's what you'd said). The 3.3L engine is the only one of that year that I've ever seen fully populated with ONLY 2 pin connectors, front and rear.

Went back to look, and yup. We've been talking 2.7. That's just too strange. You'll have to order a "left bank" coil, even though you plan to install on the "right bank".
yep 2.7

Attachments

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Just for future reference, what was the build date on that vehicle? (Month sufficient). Have never seen 2.7L without the 3rd wire EMI shield ground on at least the rear before.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
I also rechecked something I was doing from memory - and was wrong about.

I said "The primary side is easy to measure with a decent DVM. Should be pretty close to 7Kohms, give or take." It's 0.715 ohms, so will be just about as difficult to measure as the secondary side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts