Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum and can't find any others posting this issue. I have an 07 Sonata V6 Limited with 65K miles. Recently I've noticed at startup, the valves pinging and blue smoke coming from the tail pipes. Settles down after a few seconds and doesn't do it again if you shut it down and re-start. Last time I experienced this was on a Silverado with well over 100K miles. Back then it was valve seals. Could this be possible with 65K? I noticed in the maintenance log that they request having valve clearance inspected at 60K. Could this be causing my condition? I'm the second owner, so the 100K warranty is out of the question. Please help! Love the car but this is a bit disappointing. Thanks!

·
Registered
108 Posts
How long has this been going on for? What has your oil change history been so far since you've owned the vehicle - any 10,000 / 15,000 / 20,000 mile oil changes? You're positive it's blue smoke, and not steam, right? On humid/wet mornings or nights, when moisture has built up inside the exhaust tips, the NF V6's will billow steam like industrial smoke stacks.

It's also typical for the exhaust to smell "smoggy" for the first couple minutes after start-up when the engine is dead cold (on any car) for 2 reasons: 1) The catalytic converters need time to get superheated before they start doing their job, and 2) The engine is programmed to run very rich when cold for shorter warm-up cycles, and you will smell the extra fuel being dumped into the engine as some of the unburnt vapors blow out the exhaust.

The valve-ping sound could be from momentary low oil pressure, from using a motor oil that's heavier than recommended, such as 15W40 or 20W50, on cold mornings. Also, I've heard there can be start-up noise issues when using certain aftermarket oil filters. Best to stick with the genuine Hyundai filter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been going on for several thousand miles but not at every startup. Seems worse when the car sets for several days. I'm guessing because more oil is somehow getting where it shouldn't be. It's not much oil though, because I check the oil periodically and it has always been on full. I purchased the car with 54K on it. The original owner claimed he changed the oil every 3K or so miles. Since I've owned the car, I've gone with the book recommendation and change it every 7,500K. The most recent oil change being a month or so ago. I do use Wal Mart brand oil (5W20) and Fram filters. Have used this setup on every car I've owned since the price of gas and oil went on the rise several years back. Don't have any trouble out of the other vehicles. Yes, it is blue smoke and it smells of oil. Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (jahatfield @ Dec 11 2010, 11:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378810
I've searched the forum and can't find any others posting this issue. I have an 07 Sonata V6 Limited with 65K miles. Recently I've noticed at startup, the valves pinging and blue smoke coming from the tail pipes. Settles down after a few seconds and doesn't do it again if you shut it down and re-start. Last time I experienced this was on a Silverado with well over 100K miles. Back then it was valve seals. Could this be possible with 65K? I noticed in the maintenance log that they request having valve clearance inspected at 60K. Could this be causing my condition? I'm the second owner, so the 100K warranty is out of the question. Please help! Love the car but this is a bit disappointing. Thanks!
You MIGHT find a nice dealership in your area that will still cover it under warranty. If they dont and you are handy it might be cheaper to just dump a used motor in from a junk yard depending what you are comfortable doing yourself. I have not heard of anything liek this happening before. I am surprised at 60k they were inspected maybe they had done other work you dont know about. Try contacting the dealership and see if they can give you history on the car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems my wording may have been misleading. I have not had the valve clearance inspected. Didn't know it was required until I read through the recommended maintenance. Could bad valve clearance be causing this condition? What do most dealers charge for this inspection / adjustment? Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
QUOTE (jahatfield @ Dec 12 2010, 06:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379019
It seems my wording may have been misleading. I have not had the valve clearance inspected. Didn't know it was required until I read through the recommended maintenance. Could bad valve clearance be causing this condition? What do most dealers charge for this inspection / adjustment? Thanks again!
I was just surprised some on got that done. yea i am sure they will charge you.

·
Registered
906 Posts
What is "Valve Pinging"? perhaps cam chain tensioners?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts