Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the exterior driver side door handle. I have unscrewed the interior door plastic panel and unsnapped it all around the door/seal. It is now only being held in place by the manual window crank lever I think.

How can I remove this lever? Tried using youtube but no luck yet with the main methd of using a rag to pop it off.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
You need a window crank removal tool, this can purchased at an automotive parts store or at Canadian tire, this is the easiest method to remove the clip without loosing / damaging it or scratching your door panel.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
I take a pair of needle nose or a screwdriver or a dental pick (curved), but you have to be careful if you don't want to scratch the plastic.

There's the "rag method", too. You stick a rag between the gap and pull. Be wearing some kind of glasses and don't have any pets or small kids nearby. Sometimes it goes flying, sometimes the rag catches it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Here are the best instructions I have seen for our window cranks, with pictures. God bless whoever did this:

Car Audio Tips Tricks and How To's : Kia Rio Stubborn Manual Window Handle/Crank Removal

It's in the instructions, but you need to bend some tabs on the tool. If you don't, it's useless. Trust me I tried.
The rag method is worthless on our cars too. The clip has short ends which are almost impossible for the rag to grab.

Another huge tip: Try to get the crank off while sitting in the drivers seat, with the door closed. When the clip pops off it can fly quite a distance. If the door is open, well, good luck ever finding it again. With the door closed it will be much easier. You know it's in the car on the floor somewhere.

The main thing again, is to bend the tabs up a decent amount.
Then the tool goes between the door panel and washer. Yes, there is a washer piece on the back of the handle.
You jam the tool in place, hard, and don't let it move. See the pics on the attached link.
Now, remember, this is while in the drivers seat, door closed.
Hold the tool and rotate the handle slowly one direction or the other, and wait for the "ping" sound. That's the metal clip flying out.

Putting the clip back in can be a bit of work too, but you'll get it. Try not to loose too much blood in the process, and try not to ding up the door panel or crank too much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts