Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Hyundai Elantra, Canadian Model
Automatic Transmission, 255,000 km.

Since Hyundai wants almost $500 apiece, I've decide to put in some aftermarket units...I found the Right side from Cardone, but can't find a Left side ANYWHERE! The problem is, my Elantra doesn't have ABS, and the ones I've found are for ABS only. The Hyundai dealership says that you can't use the ones meant for a ABS equipped car in a non-ABS equipped car...help someone!!

John

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Rockauto is pretty good for online parts, fast delivery.

What do aftermarket parts stores say about ABS, they may know about interchangeability.

On a 2001 I have used different shafts, abs toner ring didn't interfere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Elantra CV shaft

Rockauto is showing the Left half axle #663523, but it doesn't specify if it's for ABS or non-ABS...Waiting to hear back from them..
Email from Cardone this morning that the part is unavailable, but they'll do a rebuild.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I can't say 100% sure as I can't find any information regarding your specific car (hmaservice talks only about US version), BUT it seems weird to me that you can't use ABS CV on non-ABS car.

I understand doing it the other way would be a problem (I guess the sensor reads rotation from the CV axle), but not when you put ABS on non-ABS one.

Did you try Amazon?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RockAuto advising that their's are only for ABS equipped vehicles. Amazon has only ABS specific CV Axles......don't really want to buy the ones from the Stealership...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Put the ABS axle in.. only diffierence is the axle has the tone ring on the outer joint and speed sensor on the spindle..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Put the ABS axle in.. only diffierence is the axle has the tone ring on the outer joint and speed sensor on the spindle..
So it won't make any difference that my car doesn't have ABS? Will it be an exact fit with that tone ring on it?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Tone ring just be decoration.. and spindle is missing speed sensor.. Kinda silly for aftermarket to make 2 axles when they can make 1 with all the trimmings.

Funnier when they ask ABS or not for right axle.. it still has speed sensor at right spindle for speed info anyways, just no ABS tied into the brake system

Post up couple clear pics of your left spindle..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tone ring just be decoration.. and spindle is missing speed sensor.. Kinda silly for aftermarket to make 2 axles when they can make 1 with all the trimmings.

Funnier when they ask ABS or not for right axle.. it still has speed sensor at right spindle for speed info anyways, just no ABS tied into the brake system

Post up couple clear pics of your left spindle..

I'm going to sound like an idiot, but I've never removed an axle before, and not even sure what the spindle looks like...

Does the axle have to be removed to get a picture of it?

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
The spindle is the cast iron housing that holds the wheel bearing, the outer tiierod and ball joint are joined to it , the C/V shaft runs threw it.

Take a picture from the back side with car jacked up; c/v and spindle will both be visible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spindle is the cast iron housing that holds the wheel bearing, the outer tiierod and ball joint are joined to it , the C/V shaft runs threw it.

Take a picture from the back side with car jacked up; c/v and spindle will both be visible.

Thank you! I will do that ASAP!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just finished talking with Hyundai Tech. He says the reason you can't find any aftermarket parts for non-ABS is because the only difference is the tone ring. He said to buy the ABS one, knock off the tone ring and it will be a straight install. I will advise how it works out.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Might not have to knock it off and it could be a straight install period.

Lube the c/v halfshaft surface(shoulder) that sides into the transmission housing; there is a lip seal that you don't want to tear. Its only $5 but you don't want to pull shaft out again for a leak.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finished!

All done! The right side took the Cardone 66-3524 and the left side took the Cardone 66-3523. The 66-3523 is specified for only the ABS model but fits without modification into a non-ABS equipped car.

I'm sure there will be other people out there who are willing to pay $500 apiece at a stealership, but I sure wasn't! Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Remanufactured versus new OEM always a crazy price difference; and not just Hyundai. Gotta stock it , offer warranty for 60k plus miles etc.

Aftermarket replacement don't always last life of vehicle IMO, but economically still make sense.

·
Registered
24 Posts
axle shafts

I know this is an old post, but I'm chiming in here in case someone comes across this thread in a search someday.

In my experience, you're better off putting in a used OEM axle vs a new aftermarket.

You'll frequently notice a funny shudder or slight shake on acceleration from a stop with an aftermarket axle shaft. Been there, done that. Google it. Lots of people who have put in aftermarket axles then have vibration complaints.

More than once, I've been cheap, replaced a bad CV axle with auto parts store crap, then noticed vibration in the driveline. When an OEM used axle was then swapped in for the new or reman unit, the vibration went away. Digging around on the web a little bit revealed to me that I'm not the first person to figure this out.

My advice to anyone with a bad CV joint is this. One of the three following options. First, go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market and find a nice low miles donor car near you and get the OE axle out of it. Second, if that is not an option, look up a company called RAXLES and get one of their units. Third, get brand new OEM if you have an unlimited bank account.

Option 4, auto parts store new or reman aftermarket unit should be your LAST resort only when #1 option has failed, #2 does not have what you need, and #3 is unaffordable to you.

If you're not picky, and little vibrations in your driveline that aren't supposed to be there don't annoy you, then disregard this post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts