Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what could cause the ABS, ESC & low batt lights to come on and the radio to stop functioning after putting a new battery in an Azera? (Radio's completely off, no code or error messages.) I tried pulling the power connector in the fuse box to reset, but no joy. The alternator volts look good, but the car overheated when left idling in an attempt to fully charge the battery. After that it was back to the non-starting click-click-click-click-click it had with the old battery. The new battery is a Motorcraft (Ford) 650 amps... do Azeras have any special battery requirements? Any suggestions on how to diagnose / remedy these symptoms? (Note: I do get a single beep & flash when locking the doors with the remote.)

<blockquote>Update 1: Tried jump charging from the handy V8 Northstar in our other car. Got the Azera to start, but never got the low-battery light to go off, even with the cables still attached after cranking quite a while. Got 3 starts after detaching cables, 5 minutes running then 5 minutes sitting between each attempt. It was back to click-click-click on the 4th attempt. :-(</blockquote>

<blockquote>Update 2: 2nd attempt at jumping; now it will start, but immediately dies when the jumper cables are removed. Continues to nearly overheat within about 8 minutes of starting. </blockquote>

Here's the sequential backstory for people interested in details...

I just purchased this `07 Azera Limited yesterday. It's my first Hyundai. On the second test drive at the dealer, the car wouldn't start, with the obvious clicking of a dead battery. They charged it & it started once, but never twice, so I had them install a brand new battery before buying the car. However, since putting the new battery in, the low battery light is on, the radio is dead & dark, and a few other warning lights are on (ESC, ABS). Despite that, the car succeeded in starting several times with the new battery, so I agreed to bring it back Monday when mechanics will be in. The sales manager suspects an OBDC-II code needs to be reset after changing the battery.

On the way home, I stopped at an AutoZone for a second opinion on the alternator & battery health. The alt was putting out plenty of voltage, and the new battery was alive/good but only weakly charged. The tech there thought OBCD codes had nothing to do with it; he thought the car was programmed to disable certain systems when the battery had a low charge, and suggested running the car for a few hours to juice the battery up a bit. (This didn't jive with the fact that the radio worked & there were no warning lights in the hour before previous battery died, but whatever.) I drove for an hour or so, then tried idling the car to charge the battery. After 30 minutes of idling, the thing overheated & vented quite a bit of coolant.

With both batteries, every time the car failed to start, it had been starting less than an hour before. Key was out, neither the hood nor any doors were left open, headlights were on "auto" & not illuminated, car was dark on the inside. The warning lights have never gone off since installing the new battery.

Am I going to need a portable battery charger in the trunk for this thing? Thanks for any insights or remedies! I expect the used car dealer (non-Hyundai) to make this right, but otherwise will post their name to help others avoid a similar situation.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
With car running, take DVOM and place the black lead on negative battery clamp.. touch red lead to batt +,,,,, remeber the voltage..

Touch red lead to + post on the back of alternator, you should ideally see 14.1 to 14.5 volt..... if the battery is more than .3 - .4 volt less or more..... replace the positive battery cable assembly.. been ongoing issue with Azera and Sonata for couple yr now. Part number has changed up from original part number.

Also take battery out, unbolt the short negative cable from the fender, and grind the paint off where the cable flange mates to sheet metal, and apply some sort of grease/antiseize to the bare stee, and bolt the cable back into place (paint acts as insulator when the bolt get aged/rusty to threaded inserts on fender)..

Next, look there on frame rail by battery tray, there is a ground strap bolted to frame (need to move batt tray),,,, unbolt strap from frame, grind to bare metal, apply lube to bare metal, and re-insall strap.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The only "problems" that should occur when a battery is removed is that you lose the radio station presets you had (you have to reset them one-by-one, just like when new) and the auto-up for the front driver/passenger windows has to relearn what "normal" running resistence is by running the windows up and down a few times, holding the switch, until it learns.

Oh, and the CD player goes to CD-1, Track 1...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. The used dealer I got it from is looking at it; the salesman says it needs a "specific Hyundai battery" that has a "surge protector." Sounds invented to me, but they are getting a new Hyundai battery to replace the new-but-dead Ford Motorcraft one they installed previously.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

QUOTE (Gamle-ged @ May 17 2010, 08:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323794
The only "problems" that should occur when a battery is removed is that you lose the radio station presets you had (you have to reset them one-by-one, just like when new) and the auto-up for the front driver/passenger windows has to relearn what "normal" running resistence is by running the windows up and down a few times, holding the switch, until it learns.

Oh, and the CD player goes to CD-1, Track 1...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Paul Smith @ May 18 2010, 12:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323990
Thanks. The used dealer I got it from is looking at it; the salesman says it needs a "specific Hyundai battery" that has a "surge protector." Sounds invented to me, but they are getting a new Hyundai battery to replace the new-but-dead Ford Motorcraft one they installed previously.

We'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

Just takes a pliain old everyday Group 24F :thumbsup: .... surge protector ?? not in the barttery...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I thought.

Turned out the dealer managed to blow a number of fuses while (in the lack of a mechanic) a sales manager installed the first Ford battery he could find.

Turns out that contrary to my expectations, the dealer did right by me. After the "as is" sale, he came to my house w/a mechanic to see if he could fix things. When he couldn't, he sent a tow truck for my car, got a new "to spec" battery from a Hyundai dealer (probably not the deciding factor, but whatever), and replaced all the blown fuses so that everything worked properly (radio, temp sensors & fan, no more apparent drainage).

Hopefully that will take care of everything; if not, I'll try the aforementioned cable replacement & ground enhancement strategies.

Thanks so much for the input! I have to say, so far I *love love love* the Azera. The exterior appearance could have more pizzaz, and the trunk could be a tiny bit larger, but other than that, I can't think of a single thing to nit pick on (and I'm a demanding driver)... what a fantastic vehicle!

Cheers,
Paul

QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 18 2010, 11:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323991
Just takes a pliain old everyday Group 24F :thumbsup: .... surge protector ?? not in the barttery...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Our battery went bad on our 2007 Limited, bought new, in November last year, a little over 2 years of service down here. Just about the length I have gotten in the past with other cars. Wife was stuck out shopping, she called the Hyundai roadside service, they picked it up, took it down to the dealer closest to where I work and also where I take the car for regular service, they started it up, replaced the battery with it running, never lost anything on the radio or other settings. The whole thing, no towing charge, was just under $100. I consider that not bad since I spent close to $80 on my truck and my son's battery and replaced those myself. I guess I am lucky, the dealer where we bought the car new, and where I have it serviced has done good by me and they are not more expensive than any independent I go to with the coupons I get.

·
Registered
598 Posts
QUOTE (Paul Smith @ May 19 2010, 12:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324205
...Thanks so much for the input! I have to say, so far I *love love love* the Azera. The exterior appearance could have more pizzaz, and the trunk could be a tiny bit larger, but other than that, I can't think of a single thing to nit pick on (and I'm a demanding driver)... what a fantastic vehicle!

Cheers,
Paul

(Best Tony Soprano voice): OHHH! Dat trunk can hold t'ree bodies 'AN th' shovels!... :grin:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (Gamle-ged @ May 19 2010, 07:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=324434
(Best Tony Soprano voice): OHHH! Dat trunk can hold t'ree bodies 'AN th' shovels!... :grin:
Heh... it is roomy compared to any of the modern competition. I'm just coming from a `99 Chrysler LHS, and the trunk on that is ungodly huge (actually bigger than the same year's Cadillac DeVille).

Fortunately, I usually dispose of bodies after every two, er, "jobs." Three or more corpses in the trunk and gas mileage starts dropping noticeably. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts