Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this car a week ago and it needed a new clutch and been trying to swap it. I have everything off mostly and have the transmission bell housing freed from the engine but I just can't seem to get it out far enough to do anything with it. I have to moved out far enough to see the flywheel, and can just barely see the tabs for the finger plate thing. I just don't see how to get anymore room out of this?

Have any of you been able to swap your clutch inside the engine bay?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I just saw a thread where the guy basically removed the sub frame and pulled the whole transmission lol.

So I just need to loosen it on the drivers side and drop it a bit? Or maybe loosen on the passenger, and pull the subframe bolts on the drivers to lower it.

·
Registered
8,180 Posts
I've never dropped one on the Accent but have on other fwd cars. But keeping the engine in try loosening the pass side just a bit and then the driver side with a jack under it. Watch your steering link to the rack as you lower it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You likely need to do what I did with my FWD Santa Fe ( https://www.hyundai-forums.com/cm-2007-2012-santa-fe/575633-2009-santa-fe-clutch-replacement-3.html ).

Remove the subframe bolts on the driver's side (assuming that's the side your transmission is on). Loosen the subframe bolts on passenger side but don't remove. Disconnect the lower control arms from the subframe to allow it to come down a couple of inches, then support the subframe with a jack so it doesn't drop too far and put pressure on your steering rack and lines. That should give you enough room to wedge the transmission in the wheel well. I've got pics in that thread that I copied the link.

Good luck.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah unfortunately on the Accent there is just not enough room to wedge the transmission like he did. I still haven't gotten back out to try and do more, been having neck issues all week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well went out there and looked at it today and developed a plan but having issues executing now lol. I'm pretty sure with the lower control arm there would be plenty of room to slide it over another few inches which should give me enough room. Most of the driver side suspension is already unbolted anyways, so I got the front bolt out of the lower control arm but having a hard time getting a good position on the inner one to get any kind of leverage on it lol. Sure wish I had a lift! So taking a break for now. I really need a long 1/2" extension but I can't find any of mine....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So, I know the clutch is worn, but does it really look like it would of been slipping that bad? I guess it is pretty thin.

Honestly it's not nearly as bad as I was expecting, even the throw out bearing was technically still functional. Starting to wonder if all the issues were just the slave cylinder lol. You could put it into any forward gear sort of ok, but reverse would not really go. I don't know I guess we'll see. I haven't really replaced a lot of clutches (last one was many years ago on a mustang) so I'm not really sure what a bad clutch looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yes that could have been slipping pretty bad like that. The outer edge of the disc is pretty glossy, and there's no more grooves on a lot of it. I'd guess you are down almost to the rivets on certain sections.

And your pressure plate looks pretty shabby, although it's hard to tell from the picture. Based on the uneven wear I see on your clutch disc, I'd make sure you get your flywheel resurfaced. And replace that throwout bearing too, it looks like $h!t.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh I have a whole kit, so new throwout bearing clutch disc and pressure plate. The flywheel doesn't look bad at all really, nothing like the pressure plate but idk.

How much does it costs to get a flywheel resurfaced? Just not sure where to do it around here.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Oh I have a whole kit, so new throwout bearing clutch disc and pressure plate. The flywheel doesn't look bad at all really, nothing like the pressure plate but idk.

How much does it costs to get a flywheel resurfaced? Just not sure where to do it around here.

He's a braver man than I....

While you have it that much apart, I would find something to 'paint' the subframe with. What I would try, if you can find some, is Cosmoline or another similar protective coating. Maybe even plain old Krylon or Rustoleum would be good enough. You've got some rust creeping along there, as I'm sure I have as well, so taking a preventive measure now might get you more miles out of the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Surprisingly there isnt much rust on the underside of the car, far less than other cars I've owned. Definitely a good idea though. At this point I'm in a hurry to get it back together asap as we need the car lol. I can decide if the slave cylinder is fine or not gonna have to research a bit

·
Registered
91 Posts
A machine shop should be able to resurface your flywheel. Cost here in Newfoundland is anywhere from $60 - $80 for that service. Only reason I suggested is because the wear on the face of your clutch disc looks uneven, meaning the facing of your flywheel may not be completely flat anymore.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well got everything done and installed the new clutch, having a **** of a time trying to get the trans attached back to the engine though. Trying to figure out a way to make it easier but not coming up with much lol, might need to get some help. I can get it back to the general position but can't seem to get the shaft to slip into the clutch.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, it's not terribly stable so I ended up having to do it twice. It seems pretty well aligned at this point (as best I can do with the tight space). The problem is more to do with not a lot of room and trying to lift it myself and also rotate it a bit to get it to slide in. I can't really rotate it at all when I lift it. I'm not sure how hard it usually is to get the splines to line up between the shaft and the clutch but I was guessing I'd need to somehow get them to rotate a bit to slide in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I'm using an engine support bar to lift the engine up, so I went out and bought a ratchet strap and wrapped it around the transmission and then carefully lifted the engine and then the transmission until they were pretty well aligned and then pushed the trans onto the engine. Actually worked quite well and now the trans is attached to the engine!

Now the hard part.....remembering where everything goes. I got a neck injury and then had issues and now it's been sitting so long I'm kind of having to work out what went where lol.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts