Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never got very good life from the rear brakes and rotors on my SanteFe.

My thought is that the use of a non-vented rear rotor is a poor design choice, which leads to overheating, rotor material failure and limited life out of the rotors.

Once the rotors start to laminate, the pads aren't far behind.

Was wondering if others have experienced the same or if anyone has a particular rotor brand they recommend.

Thanks ahead.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
If you search here, you'll find the reason for poor rear brake life --- several times over! Your pads most likely getting stuck in the pad slides/retainers due to rust/gunk built up under the slides. There's little enough clearance for them as it is, but if the slides push up, the pads bind, and don't fully release from the rotors.

In your climate, I'd recommend pulling them annually for a cleaning. Here's the TSB related to this issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I actually did see that TSB before...

I do that with all my vehicles right before inspections are due (in PA we have yearly inspection).

It's a chance for me to check how much pad is left before I get it inspected.

I've always figured once I get the wheel off for my brake inspection, it's not that much work to clean things up and re-lube the pins and slides.

I use a wire wheel and lightly file sometimes as well.

Before I put new pads on, I always make sure there is enough clearance for them to track of the slides as well.

I've been putting 2 year guarantee autozone duralast rotors on them, and haven't had one last 2 years yet.

They keep giving me new ones for free, but I'm about fed up with it....so I'm thinking of trying a different brand before the next job to see if it could be poor materials they are using.

I do think the non-vented design of the rear discs is not desirable though, many other vehicles in it's class that I've seen have vented rear rotors.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
Too strange. Sounds like you've been taking care of business. Wonder if it's the quality of the parts? Unless you have a caliper binding, there's no other reason we ever hear in this forum for short rear brake life.

Most of us do just fine without vented rears. That's typically more of a problem in the front where more of the work is typically done, and only on certain vehicles. Definitely not a SF issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I have a stuck caliper(s), as they've always been able to push in easily when working on the brakes, and it's not necessarily one side over the other.

Nor is it pulling to onside or the other when braking.

One other idea I had is the proportioning front vs. rear.

I don't know/understand how the proportioning is done on brakes...what controls how much brake force is applied to the front vs. back?

Is there orifices somewhere in the master cylinder or downstream of the master?

I wonder if something is wrong with my proportioning and my rear brakes are doing more work than they should be....

Or is it just the size the caliper that causes more brake force on the front vs. back?

Like you said, it might just be crap material that Autozone is using...

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Few cars need vented disks at the rear, indeed rear drums were fine until ABS became standard - the rear braking forces are much lower than at the front due to weight transfer and stability priority to make the fronts lock before the rear.

Proportioning is done by the relative piston sizes in front and rear calipers.

I'd have to assume it's down to road conditions as there's no sign of the issue on UK Santa Fe's, not even those in hilly regions. My rear brake pads are only down 35% in 30,000 miles with no attention given other than annual inspection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts