Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced sway bar links in my 06 Sonata and am wondering if they might be installed backwards, even though I installed them same direction as how they were (I had a rough-around-the-edges mechanic replace them 6 or 7 years ago, so I am wondering if he installed them backwards at that time).

I was hoping someone can tell me which direction the bend in the sway bar link is supposed to go... Should it bend outward toward the wheel (A) OR bend inward toward the car (B) [see attached image].

One of the reasons I ask is because after I finished up strut replacement and sway bar links, I lowered the car and the zerk snapped off as it was too close to the body of the car. I saw someone else post here that the Moog zerks stick out too far and don't provide much clearance and caused squeaking issues for him. Mine actually just sheared off when I lowered the vehicle. Anyway, looking at pics online, it looks like mine might be backwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for the super clear picture -- awesome! You've confirmed my suspicion that mine are on backwards -- yours "bends" outwards toward the wheel, mine "bends" indwards toward the car. I thought the same as you that they could only be installed one way, but if you flip the part upside down, the bend goes the other way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the Lemforder 3448501 from Rock Auto based on another similar thread. Hoping that takes care of the issue. Thanks for the feedback regarding sizing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interesting that I stumbled across this as I was replacing all my front-end components this weekend and was looking for clarification on which direction the bend should go on the stabilizer links and also saw that the Moog with zerk fittings were not going to clear the body.

I am not sure if the direction causes any differences in alignment etc, but I have attached a picture of the drawing out of the Sonata repair manual of the stabilizer bar. This actually shows the bend going the opposite way (bend-in toward car). The repair instructions in the manual does not specifically state a direction that it has to be put on so it may be acceptable either way...

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts