Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 06 Sonata v6 GLS and i bought it as used about 2 years ago.

Well... i dunno where i should start ...

ok.. here it goes...

First of all, my car is vibrating at over 60 mph + and it shakes like crazy

I know when ur car shakes like that

its should be ur wheel & tire balance problem or whatsoever.

So i went to tire shop and did the balance.

It still didnt fix the problem.

I thought it was the bent wheels so i bought the aftermarket wheels. (Welll i was gonna get it neways...)

So i got it and got 4 new tires as well.

I thought it would fix the problem but it was shaking like crazy.

I went to the dealer and explained it to them but they were like sayin

"we will have to check on ur wheel & tire balance again and if its that, we will charge you money for that"

And that service manager was talking in like threatening voice or something lol

so i got scared by what he was saying and im just driving my car since then.

But i realize that my car is sitting lower than most of sonatas and since one of my friend owns one too,

i did park next to him to check if my car sits lower than his.

And i was like ****... my car is sitting lower than his car and i think its the suspension problem.

so... what i want to ask is... is it my suspension problem or ........ something else??????

i really want to fix this problem and i hate my car for this :(

Even my previous cars were not having this problem... ( those were 90 ford aerostar eddie bauer , 04 sonata I4)

Thx for reading this stupid post.... :(

·
Registered
196 Posts
Has it vibrated for the last two years or did this recently start?

Does it seem to sit lower all around or is one corner low?

Wheel and tire differernces can make one car sit a little lower than another.

Have you bounced the corners of the car to see if one of the shocks seems shot?

Have you checked the CV joints?

Does it vibrate worse when you apply brakes, possibly vibrate at lower speeds with brakes applied?

·
Registered
337 Posts
ok well heres a quick way to help make a positive diagnosis with shaking problems, first is it when your under acceleration if so how much throttle? or is it something that begins at that speed an gets worse the faster you go? also when it begins to shake is it the car itself shaking or is it the steering wheel vibrating? can you isolate the shaking to one corner or side of the car or is it all at the front or back? thats the first way to really tell what the problem is. now also have you had any recent work done on the suspension or do you know if the car has had any suspension work done possibly because of a collision or someone really curbing the car badly? depending on the exact nature of where and how the shaking is at and happens there are a handful of possibility's that comes to mind. wheels get more stabalized the faster they spin so it sounds like there is a chance it could be a camber or toe problem on that particular corner which if so will become more pronounced the faster you go or if its in the front maybe if its been in an accident the drive shaft is slightly bent at a corner but thats rather unlikely cause if so i think it would happen at all speeds an not just 60+ mph. just remember the more specific you can be with it the better it helps us to identify the possible cause.
well hope this might help you identify the problem or a more likely cause you can take to the dealer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Your Sonata is a 3.3 v6 so make sure your friends you are comparing it to is the same. The 4 Cylinder models are probably lighter in the front which would cause a difference in height.

The vibration I had an issue with on my 2006 3.3 turned out to be warped brake rotors. I also had the tires balanced and an alignment done which didn't fix the issue. Once they changed my rotors though it was smooth as glass. Does your Sonata brake unevenly? meaning does it slow down smoothly or do you feel vibration as you slow?

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
QUOTE (sardouch @ Apr 29 2010, 06:36 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317903
Your Sonata is a 3.3 v6 so make sure your friends you are comparing it to is the same. The 4 Cylinder models are probably lighter in the front which would cause a difference in height.

The vibration I had an issue with on my 2006 3.3 turned out to be warped brake rotors. I also had the tires balanced and an alignment done which didn't fix the issue. Once they changed my rotors though it was smooth as glass. Does your Sonata brake unevenly? meaning does it slow down smoothly or do you feel vibration as you slow?
The Rotor is the logical culprit. To the O/P, we have thousands of 06 Sonata Suspension Posts in the archives here :00000732:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok.. so I think it gets worse as the speed goes up and i know its not the rotor problem

since i did resurface it like an year ago.

I think i've heard that it might be the CV joint or something...

Well.... do they cover CV joint by warranty? lol

If i take it to the dealer.. would they fix it under warranty if the problem comes out to be one of the suspension problem?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Most likely - the balance. Shops don't always do a good job in balancing the tires. Actually most shops do a very lousy job.

Rotors - It doesn't matter when you resurfaced them. Rotors can warp on the next day after that. Or a mechanic with an impact wrench can warp them easily :)))

The easiest way to know is to drive the car at around 50mph and give the brakes a long push. Try to feel the vibration on the steering wheel and the brake pedal. I usually just give it gas and brake at the same time so it stays at around 50mph for a while. That'll let you feel it better.

Brakes are usually vibrate at lower speeds. If you can't feel any vibrations - most likely it's your tires.
Suspension might give you some vibrations but it'll never be as bad as you're describing, unless your wheel is going to fall off, but by that time you'd probably noticed something else too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts