Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

We purchased a 2006 Hyundai LX last month (No, it does not have any warranty on it-- it was a dealer car) and since we got it we started having some issues. The only warranty we had on the car was a VERY LAME 1 month warranty on the powertrain.

We did have the head gasket control valve replaced b/c it was leaking oil onto the alternator (which was covered by the warranty, but the alternator that went bad b/c of the valve was not covered by the warranty)

Has anyone ever replaced the alternator in an 06 Hyundai Sonata? What will we need to do it? HOW do we do it? We already bought an alternator, and the job is turning out to be harder than my fiancee expected. He couldn't get the alternator belt off. (I guess he couldn't find the tensioner)... Or is this a job where we just need to have the car taken to a shop?

Anyway, I am NOT a car person... I am just trying to fix my car. ANY help is appreciated... but I LOVE my Sonata and I want to get back on the road! TIA.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
You have to get to the belt tensioner to relieve the tension on the serpentine belt. It's a PITA to get to on the V6. I think you have to remove a front wheel. You might want to give your man a pat on the head for trying then take it to a garage. Here's a link to another tread on replacing the belt.

BTW, welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link! That should help him a lot.

I found something yesterday online about removing the passenger wheel to access the belt, but he didn't believe me. I'll give him a cookie if he tries again... I don't even know if he will be able to remove alternator once belt is loosened. First step, I guess... And I'll wait for more replies before I decide whether to give up on DIY... :liebe011:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts