Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I have purchased a 06 Hyundai Tucson from a friend who was going to fix it up. I got it halfway through his project. When he received the car, none of the power windows worked. He checked the fuses and assumed it was the main power window switch.
I got the car, with the door panel pre-removed. I have replaced the main power window switch and it does not work. The power locks work. The adjustable side view window switch works. None of the window switches work on any of the doors, we thought it was because the power window lock was applied, but even after plugging in the new main power window switch, and hitting unlock on the windows, it still doesn't work.
I have gone through and checked every single fuse. All of the fuses are working. The only thing that isn't working are my power windows. Any tips on where to look next?

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,313 Posts
You've checked the fuses but have you checked that there is 12V being supplied to the two power window fuses when the ignition is switched on?

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
You need to use a voltmeter to probe the two power window fuses to see if there is voltage being supplied to them when the ignition is switched on.

You can locate the fuses by looking at the label on the inside of the dashboard fusebox cover. Look for P/WDW LH & P/WDW RH.
If you look closely at the fuses you will see two little metal spots on top of each fuse. Touch the black voltmeter probe to a good ground (the metal dashboard frame above the fusebox), and touch the red probe to the metal spots on each of the two fuses. Make sure the meter displays 12V when the red probe is touched to each spot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay, so my LEXUS technician husband came home and said that we don’t have the tool to be able to check for the 12V.
The main control switch lights up and the locks work but the window relay motor isn’t making any noise. None of the windows work on the whole car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has one at work. He doesn't do much work at home, all the tools and power equipment is there.
I just went ahead and tried to fix it by myself, I've picked up a few things since he started working on cars.
I found a forum post. But it won't let me post the link
But essentially they posted that the power window relay is soldered onto the fuse box... I might try "tapping" it to try and make it work, but I guess I should see if the local Hyundai dealership has any answers...

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Both legs on the 25A fuses at "0" volt is pretty good indication relay inside I/P box not working,, seems to me I replaced a box last summer

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
I just went ahead and tried to fix it by myself.... I guess I should see if the local Hyundai dealership has any answers...
WHAT? You husband is a Lexus technician and your having to fix your car yourself? Is he some sort of badge snob or something? Is working on a Hyundai beneath him?

If I told my missus to fix her Mazda herself I'd be hearing from her divorce attorney :surprise:

Personally, I would invest $10-20 for a new voltmeter for hubby to use about the home rather than pay your Hyundai dealer probably ten times that amount to tell you there isn't any voltage being supplied to those fuses.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow. Totally taken the wrong way. No, I am the wife of the technician and I took the initiative while he was at work last night to try and fix it. I had the door panel and a screwdriver, I'm not a sit around on my hands kind of girl. I posted on here while he was at work, and I couldn't communicate with him to try and diagnose what was going on. When he came home from work we worked on it together. No badge snob at all. I was just saying that he knows more about Lexus than Hyundai, didn't mean to have it come off as "better"... We don't feel that way. Just the cars have differences. Not all makes and models are the same... Manufacturers make cars differently. I'm sure you know that. I've recently fallen in love with my Hyundai and want to fix it so that my windows work again!

He took it to work today and checked it with the voltmeter and there is no power going to the fuses. Thank you for the suggestion. Exactly the issue. We are looking to replace the fuse panel now, or possibly just take it to the dealer so that they can confirm what we've already found out. See if it's a common problem. I found the post on here about the power window relay being soldered onto the fuse board, so just buying an entire fuse board seems like an easier fix.

·
Registered
15,313 Posts
Wow. Totally taken the wrong way.
Not at all. My comments were tongue in cheek.

hilarydodge said:
He took it to work today and checked it with the voltmeter and there is no power going to the fuses. Thank you for the suggestion. Exactly the issue.
A lucky guess on my part.

hilarydodge said:
We are looking to replace the fuse panel now
OK, but it might not be the fuse panel that's faulty.

hilarydodge said:
so just buying an entire fuse board seems like an easier fix.
If the fuse panel is faulty that would be an easy fix....but an expensive one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if there are notifications for this site.
Update on my car. We replaced the fuse panel and it didnt fix the issue. My husband found a LoJack in my car, not working I think. So he put a 30 fuse in the car and now my windows and everything work again. But there is a continuous clicking noise from the bottom front of my car and I can't figure out what it is!! It's all the time when it's not running. Sometimes I hear it when it's first started up. ?‍♀

1 - 13 of 13 Posts