Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the same problem that many azera and sonata owners have where my headlights dim when i slow down or apply brakes etc on my 06 azera

I have found the alternator to battery positive issue and fixed that with another piece of 4awg wire added (now has 0 volt drop). That didn't fix the issue

Then i seen a suggestion of checking/sanding all grounds. Did that to battery to chassis, chassis to trans, engine to chassis, pcm/misc grounds (bunch of 5), and 2 more by windshield washer reservoir. This didn't fix the problem either

Does anyone have any input? I've had my alternator checked and my battery as well. My only questionable idea as of now is my battery. Its the right size and checks out fine but only rated at like 450cca, etc vs 700+ and i assume more reserve at advance auto parts? Not sure if the battery is oem or not it is some bs "powervolt" brand

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Check voltage when running at alternator stud, then check at battery..

Cable from alternator to junction block has excessive voltage drop.. quite common with original cable, new cable with part number change been out for 4+yr now

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As above I've done the following:
Replaced alternator to batt pos wire
Sanded all grounds
Alternator runnin 14.2 volts under load
Regulator kicking in correctly
Battery running 12.3-5 resting

Using engine and chassis all grounds within 0.1v of true battery voltage

I was thinkin of doing big 3 upgrade (well what's left) and replacing my battery even though it's good it's not as big/powerful as new ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an FYI for anyone with same problems. I used jumper cables on my grounds(good thick ones too) to see if better grounding would help and it didn't. Jumped a 2nd battery (not in car) and it fixed everything so battery issue. Looked up new battery it's group size 124r with 120rc and 700cca. One in my car is group 24 with 500cca and 70 rc...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts