Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She has 278K on her and the engine and transmission are as strong as they were 10 years ago. MPG running 80 mph on interstate was 27 until the problem started. A few days ago I got off the interstate, the engine was running fine. Pulling away from red light the gas pedal turned to mush and the engine started running ruff and could barely move the car. I was lucky to get it 100 yards down the road to pull off into a parking lot. Strange thing I noticed was the RPMs were running at 600 to 650 at idle instead of the normal 750.
The Engine Codes were running lean bank 1 and lean bank 2. I inspected for and tested multiple ways for a vac leak. No Vac leaks were found. Plugs were overdue to be changed so I replaced them along with the MAF. After replacing the MAF the car ran much better but there was still a lag or hesitation sometimes in changing from 2nd or 3 gear. The check engine light came back on again. Lean bank 1 and lean bank 2 again. I replaced the front Oxygen sensor and took it out for a test drive. It ran like a champ. No hesitation and strong as an ox. I cut it off and disconnected the battery to clear the codes. Cranked it back up, no codes showing. Tried to take it out for a test drive and I was lucky to get it back home. Same codes again on a new check engine light, lean bank 1 and lean bank 2. Please, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,318 Posts
If the lean condition isn't being caused by an excess of oxygen (vac leak), it's likely being cause by a lack of fuel. Maybe have a fuel pressure test done to see if that highlights a problem. Or you could just try a new fuel pump and hope you have better luck with that than you did with the other parts you've fitted.

Just a though....did you refuel before your troubles started. Maybe you bought some dodgy fuel. That can cause lean codes too.

Happy New Year when it comes.
Scottie.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Something similar happened to me about a month ago or roughly 900 miles ago.

Was passing trucks before hitting the ramp at about 80mph and got off and probably about 3 miles down at the light I experienced the same thing.

What codes did you get in fact? I had 3 different P0XX codes and research led me to clean the Throttle Body and MAF sensors and I haven't had a problem since!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts