Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Major headache and wallet pains... My 05 Tucson 2.7l V6 died on the highway about 6 months ago... I was doing about 110kph, (65mph?) and the whole thing just shut off, no power, no gas, nothing... Sadly, that caused my timing belt to tear (it was old and overdue) so I blew out all the valves... I thought that the belt CAUSED the issue but it just happened again on a new engine.

I paid 2600 for a new engine with 150,000km less on it than the original and thought I was good to go. I had issues the first week where it would stick in 3rd and not shift... I was getting a code that the input speed sensor was shot... So I replaced it... Got the code again and went back to the shop and they said they checked the wiring and fixed it so no more code...

Tonight, about 4 days later, I'm driving down the highway and the engine cut off again like the first major blowout... Now it won't start again... I'm on the side of the highway and waiting for a tow back to the garage...

I'm seeing other people saying that this might be the crankshaft position sensor and that it kills the engine like this... Any help would be appreciated!

Paul

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
If it is still not working then check the spark and fuel pressure
See what is working and what is not

Earlier today my car wouldn't start. There were no dash lights.
Radio dead. No head light. Nothing.
I thought maybe the battery terminal came off.
No such luck.
So started by checking the starter relay and then main relay
The main relay had the green crusty.
Took the bottom cover off and inspected the wiring underneath
No breaks or more corrosion.
Cleaned up the relay with a pocket knife
Stuck it back in. The car started up.
I am still not convinced it was the relay.
But, will take whatever ... it started and I got home.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, the battery is brand new and the dash and headlights are working, the starter cranks but will not start. Not even a stuttering... Just crank and no vroom...

Got it towed to a local shop I know and will wait to see tomorrow. I hope it's just the sensor because I'm about 3000$ into the repairs on this recently and I was thinking I had a good car again for the last several days and then this...

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
507 Posts
You usually get the CEL on and code for the crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Still, some folks don't get the code and changing those seems to fix their issue.

Your first incident was because of the timing belt I believe. If it was beyond the service limit, then, that was on you. Failed sensors does not snap timing belts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nitely, I agree it was my fault, that's why I suckered it up and paid to get the engine repaired. But now that it is happening again, the belt was obviously not the cause this time and its the exact same scenario. Engine cuts off suddenly while driving.

I'll take the heat on the timing belt the first time round, but this time it's an engine from an 09 with only 96k km on it, it's in good shape and same issue. So it's not an engine issue, it's tranny or electronics.

If anyone has any ideas as to something that might help, I would appreciate it

·
Registered
507 Posts
I hope you have a warranty on that used engine. Just in case. It will just be such a bad luck if the timing belt on that one snapped too. Not sure if its 60K or 100K miles for timing belt on those engines but if it was 60K, should have put a new one in on the new used engine before installing it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,601 Posts
Crank, no start ...

Again check for spark and fuel
See if there is spark at the plugs
If there is spark then put propane into the brake booster hose while starting the engine
If it starts then you know you have a fuel issue

Take oil filler cap off valve cover
Have someone crank engine and look inside valve cover
Do the valves move?
If not then timing belt

If you believe it to be electrical then remove main relay and starter relay to inspect them
Look for any corrosion
Check to see if there is the 5 volt reference?
Need a schematic for that one?

Got to try some tests in order to figure which way to go

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope you have a warranty on that used engine. Just in case. It will just be such a bad luck if the timing belt on that one snapped too. Not sure if its 60K or 100K miles for timing belt on those engines but if it was 60K, should have put a new one in on the new used engine before installing it. Good luck.
Put a new timing belt on this one before they installed it so I hope it held up this time.

Avisitor, I have it in the shop right now, I'll have them test it and see what happens today. I'll pass on the suggestions to the shop, I noticed last night on the side of the road that the ESP dash light came on and stayed on when I tried to restart it... Any ideas what that might point to?

I have a Bluetooth OBDII reader plugged it that worked fine up to that point but wouldn't read the computer when it died... Does that indicate a specific fuse or relay perhaps?

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,132 Posts
The first thing I'd suggest is you check that the INJ fuse on the engine bay fusebox has a good 12V supply while the ignition is switched on.

If not, remove the engine control relay and connect a voltmeter across the relay coil terminals on the relay socket in the fusebox. See if you have 12V there.

ENGINE CONTROL RELAY & INJ FUSE

RELAY COIL VOLTAGE TEST

If not, connect your red meter probe to battery positive and back probe the black to the black/orange wire on the fusebox connector shown below. See if you now have 12V (ignition on). If you have 12V on the black/orange wire but nothing across the relay coil, the relay control wire is broken inside the fusebox. Not uncommon on the Tucson.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The first thing I'd suggest is you check that the INJ fuse on the engine bay fusebox has a good 12V supply while the ignition is switched on.

If not, remove the engine control relay and connect a voltmeter across the relay coil terminals on the relay socket in the fusebox. See if you have 12V there.

ENGINE CONTROL RELAY & INJ FUSE

RELAY COIL VOLTAGE TEST

If not, connect your red meter probe to battery positive and back probe the black to the black/orange wire on the fusebox connector shown below. See if you now have 12V (ignition on). If you have 12V on the black/orange wire but nothing across the relay coil, the relay control wire is broken inside the fusebox. Not uncommon on the Tucson.

Excellent, thanks you I will check this tonight!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello autospark, turned out to be the wires under the fuse box... Corroded like crazy... Soldered it up and good to go... Gonna seal the fuse box with something this weekend to keep this from happening again

Thanks

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,132 Posts
Thanks for posting back to let us know. It's really strange that this fusebox corrosion issue only seems to effect the Tucson. I think your the fourth person on the forum in the last year or so to have suffered from it.

Anyway, glad the diagnostic tips helped.

Scott.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts