Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 05 Sonata with a V6 2.7 liter engine. The car has 101,000 miles and runs great with no issues. The problem I have is when I initially start the engine after it has been sitting for awhile it is very noisy. The valves seem to be rattling excessively until the car runs for a few minutes and then quiets down. The oil is about a quart low but looks clean. Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Should I change oil? Does it sound like the seals have gone bad?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
It sounds like you have a lifter or two that is taking too long to build pressure and it is causing some slop in the valve train for a few seconds during startup.
After it builds pressure it stops clattering and quiets down.

Make sure you dump the oil and put some good synthetic oil in it and keep it topped off at all times.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I recently purchased a used 05 Sonata with a V6 2.7 liter engine. The car has 101,000 miles and runs great with no issues. The problem I have is when I initially start the engine after it has been sitting for awhile it is very noisy. The valves seem to be rattling excessively until the car runs for a few minutes and then quiets down. The oil is about a quart low but looks clean. Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Should I change oil? Does it sound like the seals have gone bad?
Just drive your car at least once a week and that noise will more than likely go away. I know on my 2003 santa fe 2.7, if I go more than 10 days without driving, it has a noisy start up that takes a few miles to go away. If I drive it about once every 4 days I never hear it. Noise seems to be worse the longer it sits.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 05 Sonata 2.7L and mine will do the same. It is more noticeable on colder days. I have managed to quite mine quite a bit by using full synthetic 5W30 oil. Also don't buy cheap crappy oil filters. I went to the dealership for mine and got it for free!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts