Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I had been having, perhaps, a crankshaft sensor problem with my '05 Sonata. I am the original owner, so I know all the work that has been done. My situation is that the code was coming up with the crank sensor, similar to many other posts, but my problem was only happening when it rained. The car would start, but stay at a constant 2500 rev with all the check engine lights on. If I attempted to drive, it would buckle, not go faster than 20mph and sometimes died. When the car sat revving for about 20 minutes, I could turn it off, then on and no problem, until it rained again.
So, I had the sensor changed(wires totally Frayed), timing belt and water pump replaced and had a tune up. Everything was great for about a month and then, BAM. Took it back to my mechanic and he says he can't find the problem. Just bought new fuel injectors to see if that helps. I love this car and just spent a lot of money to get to this point, but I don't feel safe driving with my grandbabies in NYC. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
Just curious was the cps an OE or aftermarket.. and what brand and type of spark plugs did you use?

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Hi there. I had been having, perhaps, a crankshaft sensor problem with my '05 Sonata. I am the original owner, so I know all the work that has been done. My situation is that the code was coming up with the crank sensor, similar to many other posts, but my problem was only happening when it rained. The car would start, but stay at a constant 2500 rev with all the check engine lights on. If I attempted to drive, it would buckle, not go faster than 20mph and sometimes died. When the car sat revving for about 20 minutes, I could turn it off, then on and no problem, until it rained again.
So, I had the sensor changed(wires totally Frayed), timing belt and water pump replaced and had a tune up. Everything was great for about a month and then, BAM. Took it back to my mechanic and he says he can't find the problem. Just bought new fuel injectors to see if that helps. I love this car and just spent a lot of money to get to this point, but I don't feel safe driving with my grandbabies in NYC. Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks
You're probably looking at a wiring problem. The CKS had chaffed wiring. Did you replace the harness? If not you may want to tear the loom apart and see what you get. Why did you change the injectors?

·
Registered
882 Posts
take it to the Hyundai dealer. They may charge you $150 and check voltages of all sensors and wires and find out the problem, with 1+ year warranty. I don't think it's injectors issue. Since it becomes worse when rains, I guess there's corrosion build up from wires or coil pack

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
2005 Sonata.............

2.4L 4 cylinder,,, or 2.7L V6 ???

Not called in post text or profile seen under username in box at left

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,575 Posts
Since it happens when it rains, I would be checking to see if the windshield is leaking
Then if it is ... follow the water to where it may be shorting something out??

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
You're probably looking at a wiring problem. The CKS had chaffed wiring. Did you replace the harness? If not you may want to tear the loom apart and see what you get. Why did you change the injectors?
The crank position sensor on Hyundai's come with their own short harness. The outside shield cracks off and then the individual wire insulation falls apart. Eventually it randomly shorts wire together(seems like car is dying) and eventually you can blow a fuse.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Out of my own experience: stay away from aftermarket sensors.

Just had the story with my Trajet (2.7 delta engine, too). Had hard starting (turned out to be due to leaking fuel pressure regulator), so in the debugging process I found the wires cracked and falling apart (but no impact yet). As a preventive maintenance before going for vacation with the family, I installed a new sensor. "Topran", self-defined 'premium'-product.

Guess what, sensor lasted 1 week and died on us halfway to the holiday place. Towed to a Hyundai dealership (closed, Saturday afternoon ...), got a rental, wedged in 3 people and 3 dogs into a car half the (inside) size of the Jet and went on ... arriving 5 hours later than planned.

Four days later had to go back to the place it broke to swap the rental for my own. Paid 232€ for fixing (143€ the sensor alone, 7x of the Topran junk thingy) and some 50€ extra gas consumption. Plus 2 hours work for cleaning the rental from all the dog hair.

143€ sounds massive for such a sensor (it is ...) but that one lasted 17 years while the 21€ sensor lived for a week.
For my Kia Optima I've ordered an OE sensor from Fourgreen. 50€ plus shipping (18€, so I also ordered 2 pressure regulators to make good use of the shipping fee. The regulators are only available OE in Europe it seems)

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Out of my own experience: stay away from aftermarket sensors.

Just had the story with my Trajet (2.7 delta engine, too). Had hard starting (turned out to be due to leaking fuel pressure regulator), so in the debugging process I found the wires cracked and falling apart (but no impact yet). As a preventive maintenance before going for vacation with the family, I installed a new sensor. "Topran", self-defined 'premium'-product.

Guess what, sensor lasted 1 week and died on us halfway to the holiday place. Towed to a Hyundai dealership (closed, Saturday afternoon ...), got a rental, wedged in 3 people and 3 dogs into a car half the (inside) size of the Jet and went on ... arriving 5 hours later than planned.

Four days later had to go back to the place it broke to swap the rental for my own. Paid 232€ for fixing (143€ the sensor alone, 7x of the Topran junk thingy) and some 50€ extra gas consumption. Plus 2 hours work for cleaning the rental from all the dog hair.

143€ sounds massive for such a sensor (it is ...) but that one lasted 17 years while the 21€ sensor lived for a week.
For my Kia Optima I've ordered an OE sensor from Fourgreen. 50€ plus shipping (18€, so I also ordered 2 pressure regulators to make good use of the shipping fee. The regulators are only available OE in Europe it seems)
I could write the same story about using ABC store alternators. You'll be paying for a very expensive rental if you go that route. Their life time warranties mean very little when you break down late on a Friday(even with tools in hand).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi, I don't know what spark plug was used, it was done by the mechanic, but I think the CPS is OE.
Also, the car is a V6 2.7
No problems with the windshield
Changing the fuel injectors because the mechanic said he couldn't find anything else wrong. Do you think that's a waste of time?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
We dont replace fuel injectors on 2.7 in 15yr I be Hyundai.. so you shouldn't either

Cant find anything,, then why hang parts..

Lose the "mechanic",,, and find a "Technician" to work on your car

Reactions: grcauto

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Hi, I don't know what spark plug was used, it was done by the mechanic, but I think the CPS is OE.
Also, the car is a V6 2.7
No problems with the windshield
Changing the fuel injectors because the mechanic said he couldn't find anything else wrong. Do you think that's a waste of time?
I do not know why fuel injectors would set codes for the crank sensor. Never seen that in 45 years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fuel injector didn't show CPS code. Mechanic suggested fuel injectors because he couldn't find anything else wrong. I haven't changed them yet .

So, what's the difference between a mechanic and a technician? I'll try anything to get the car working safely!!!

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Fuel injector didn't show CPS code. Mechanic suggested fuel injectors because he couldn't find anything else wrong. I haven't changed them yet .

So, what's the difference between a mechanic and a technician? I'll try anything to get the car working safely!!!
Listen to sbr711 and get a technician. Mechanics who throw parts at a problem rather than testing should work in a junkyard pulling parts rather than at a shop where they cost the customer more money than if they took it to a technician in the first place.

·
Banned
7,041 Posts
Ask the shop if they are ASE certified in the area of concern. You really want one where they have a CMAT (certified master automotive technician). With engines you want a CMAT with advanced L1 certs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
oh boy, so I've got to look for a certified electrical technician or certified Hyundai? This sounds like I'm going to have my hands full with that search? Will that come up in a local Google search? I can't afford a Hyundai dealership.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh boy, so I've got to look for a certified electrical technician or certified Hyundai? This sounds like I'm going to have my hands full with that search? Will that come up in a local Google search? I can't afford a Hyundai dealership.
Thanks for the info

1 - 17 of 17 Posts