Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I searched the 3G forums for information regarding the replacement of transmission fluid and didn't come up with much.
I have a 05 Sonata 2.7L, runs well, but lately the transmission has been quirky. Twice in the last 2 months for a few miles it acted as if it didn't know how to downshift properly; RPMs were higher and slowing down the TACH jumped abnormally. Shifting manually the transmission works normally. Other than those 2 separate instances, no other issues. No Check Engine light (only air bag light, assume it's unrelated?).

It has 105,000 miles, had a drain and filled performed about about 90,000. One dealership in town recommends a "gentle flush/extraction and complete fluid replacement" for $175, and another Hyundai dealership greatly discourages flushes and wants to do the drain and flush ($85). Such different responses from the two largest Hyundai dealerships in Denver have me confused as to what to do.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
QUOTE (ggomez2 @ Jul 14 2010, 06:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341776
Hello all,
I searched the 3G forums for information regarding the replacement of transmission fluid and didn't come up with much.
I have a 05 Sonata 2.7L, runs well, but lately the transmission has been quirky. Twice in the last 2 months for a few miles it acted as if it didn't know how to downshift properly; RPMs were higher and slowing down the TACH jumped abnormally. Shifting manually the transmission works normally. Other than those 2 separate instances, no other issues. No Check Engine light (only air bag light, assume it's unrelated?).

It has 105,000 miles, had a drain and filled performed about about 90,000. One dealership in town recommends a "gentle flush/extraction and complete fluid replacement" for $175, and another Hyundai dealership greatly discourages flushes and wants to do the drain and flush ($85). Such different responses from the two largest Hyundai dealerships in Denver have me confused as to what to do.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Your answer is in your question. Dealer 2 with the lower price is trying to do you right. Or you can go to the $40 option and do it yourself. Jack the car up and let out the plug on the trans. Not more than a quart will come out. Now, you can pull the trans cooler hose out of the radiator (I forget which is the inlet vs. the outlet.) You want the outlet pulled off and stick a pan under it. With the car still on jack stands, wheels up in the air, and parking brake on, start the car and put it in neutral. It helps to have someone to start and put it in N, hat way you can watch what is going on under. Watch the trans fluid pump itself out. shouldn't take more than a minute max. Once the fluid starts to sputter and trickle out, turn the car off and reapply the hoses. Fill up with the recommended Hyundai fluid. 5-6 quarts but start with 4 and check the level a little at a time. You can do it completely if you buy extra fluid and pour some in as it is pumping out the old until the fluid comes out clean.

If you are an inexperienced shade-tree mechanic you may invest an hour max to do it yourself. You can do, the forum can help. I have done it once and the trans is still going strong 160K miles later. I need to do it again actually....thanks for reminding me.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Super Chris,

Thanks for your response. I am leaning towards a drain and fill at this point; as my post stated, I was taken a back at how 2 local dealerships had such completely different response.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts