Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello - driving in sunny so cal yesterday never a problem with the car just an oxygen sensor- I was cruising along at 75 and all of a sudden the oil light comes on - immediate loss of power and i pull over to the side of the road and shut it down. try to restart and it just clicks.....tugged on the crank through the wheel well and it will not budge...oil is ok and plugs were pulled and they seem fine....oil pump...fuel pump....starter hopefully something simple and inexpensive I hope.....what is the difficulty in changing out the starter and could this be the issue?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
check the connections to the starter first, but sounds like the starter is gone. if the battery was starting to go, you'd usually hear the starter TRY to turn the engine over. the starter isn't terrible to get at really, should be behind the engine under the intake manifold. you'll have to get under the car and take out a few things around the starter - don't worry, easy stuff like the intake piping.

your low oil problem is much more concerning. was your oil level low? if not i would immediately test the oil pressure with a test gauge before doing anything else. unfortunately, you need the engine running for that....

just not totally sure on the sequence of events here though....was oil light the first thing or did this happen same time as loss of power? loss of power would drop your oil pressure, that itself is not a problem. however, what has caused that initial problem? i would want to see if the starter problem is somehow related to this. maybe the starter is trying to turn a seized engine?

you're going to have to do a little more investigation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

well thank you for the information...the oil light came on almost it seems at the same time the loss of power was felt. everything else seemed to function fine. is it really difficult to try and turn the crank through the wheel well which my bf seems to think that the engine is seized...could it be just that the crank bolt is too tight?? there is no oil loss from anywhere that we can see and we even took the plugs out to see if it would be any easier to turn the crank...it was still very tight..

·
Registered
20 Posts
well thank you for the information...the oil light came on almost it seems at the same time the loss of power was felt. everything else seemed to function fine. is it really difficult to try and turn the crank through the wheel well which my bf seems to think that the engine is seized...could it be just that the crank bolt is too tight?? there is no oil loss from anywhere that we can see and we even took the plugs out to see if it would be any easier to turn the crank...it was still very tight..
I'm thinking oil pump failure, engine seized, or perhaps the other way around, threw a rod, engine seized, no oil pressure , low oil lamp lights.Engine won't start because engine is seized. What did you find?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts