Hyundai Forums banner

05 getz cranking issue

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  grcauto 
#1 ·
Hello all

I have an 05 getz 1.6 petrol manual now the issue I’m having with it is that when it’s cold the car struggles to swing battery is showing around 12,3v so should be sufficient to crank, by cold I mean outside temperature as well as if the cars stands for about 8 hours or so.
Had a good look around found a few cables and nuts that were not tightened down properly one was the bottom alternator bolt not tight other was the earthing cable for the starter motor, wasn’t even over the bolt just jammed in on top of the nut, now after properly connecting the earth for the starter it fixed the problem for about 2 weeks then it started acting up again. Today I took battery out cleaned contacts on battery and the clamps as well a cleaned up where the battery earths to the chassis seems to be a bit better however it is also a warmer day. So what happens is try and start the car in the morning and it’ll swing as if a flat battery really slowly sometimes even stopping, turn key back wait a minute or two try again swings slowly but often it does take, no odd noises coming from starter or anything. If I jump the car it starts on first swing. A few people have told me it could be a cold start switch could this be possible? Any other info would be greatly appreciated as I’ve been having this issue for months and it’s really frustrating.
thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
A few people have told me it could be a cold start switch could this be possible?
No.

Hobgoblin245 said:
Any other info would be greatly appreciated
Take your jump leads and connect one end of the black lead to the battery negative terminal and the other end to clean metal on the engine. Leave the red lead disconnected. Now crank the engine and see if that makes a significant difference. If it does you need to replace, or add another, engine ground strap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.