Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Our Elantra never overheats or shows hot on the gauge but every couple months it is a little low on coolant. When I shut it down I sometimes get the sweet antifreeze smell. I see no leaks. Never a spot on the driveway. Just need to add a little. Car has about 80,000 miles. as a matter of annual maintenance I drain and fill the coolant and trans fluid once a year. Hoses are in good shape. The oil is clean and shows now sign of contamination. We Love this little car. Any ideas? Thank you

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Yeah I had the same problem before. Small drip from hose connection, heat of engine evaporates the glycol so no drip on ground. Top of transmission has a bunch of small indents that can hold a few tablespoons of fluid as it evaporates.

If you search there are posts describing solution. The engine inlet/ outlet coolant piping is made of some kind if white metal alloy that slowly corrodes and causes a slight drip of glycol.

Dump glycol, remove several hoses and use scotch brite or wire brush to get back to smooth metal surface. Some people then switch to gear clamps away from factory squeeze clamps; allows you slightly better seal IMO.
You could check water pump weep hole ; another possability, but the pumps seem to stand up well.
While glycol is out , change thermostat if original ; common élantra problem.

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,816 Posts
The OEM clamps get weak over time too due to many heat cycles.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
how low on coolant are we talking here? overflow tank little low or is the rad getting low so the car can't cool itself anymore?

it takes quite a bit of coolant loss to do that..there's a couple concerns i have here, but don't get frightened that any of these are your issue. simply looking for more info to cross all the bad items off the list of possibilities:

- where is that sweet antifreeze smell coming from? anywhere in particular or is it more of a general smell?

- any unusual white smoke from the exhaust?

- with the car running, any bubbles coming out into the overflow tank?

your possibilities can include a small leak as described by others (various causes) or a failed head gasket and worse yet a cracked head.

tests are not difficult, more detail will help determine what the issue is.

one way is to pressurize the coolant system with a hand pump style tester. dead easy test, put pressure on the rad and start looking for leaks.

the other is a compression test to make sure the head gasket is holding.

before going that far, give us some more info and start looking around very carefully under the hood with a bright flashlight. you're looking for white buildup that looks like salt. residue from dried coolant. if this has been going on for a white, it should be pretty obvious.

don't start to worry yet, sometimes the fix is free! example, a hose that is frayed at the end. cut off the frayed crap on the end and put some more coolant in. done :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts