Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Jaggie (thats her name) shut off on me yesterday and had a rough idle for a few minutes. Popped and hissed during start attempts (maybe 4).
Anyways coded at rock auto (bc check engine light) and turned out to have faulty sensors one of which was Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Control bank 1. Ordering these parts but rock autos catalogue has several and I'm not sure which i need. On says heated something or other lol. Is there a part number? Also not a mechanic but willing to try installing these as long as i dont have to remove too much stuff lol. Yikes. Can anyone advise? Looking on YouTube also.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,308 Posts
How do you know the sensors are faulty just by reading the trouble codes?
When I see trouble codes for several sensors I'm thinking more along the lines of a power supply or ground problem rather multiple sensors all failing at the same time.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If the upstream O2 sensor is bad that one is not too much trouble to change.
The crank position sensor, on the other hand, is a job.
That sensor is located behind the main timing belt at the top of the timing belt crank pulley so the timing belt must be removed to change it.
On top of that, you must completely remove the power steering bracket to get the wire leads loose to remove the entire sensor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If the upstream O2 sensor is bad that one is not too much trouble to change.
The crank position sensor, on the other hand, is a job.
That sensor is located behind the main timing belt at the top of the timing belt crank pulley so the timing belt must be removed to change it.
On top of that, you must completely remove the power steering bracket to get the wire leads loose to remove the entire sensor.
Thats for the 4 cyl. behind the timing belt.

I saw in another thread this person has the gls which would be the v6 engine. Its a lot easier.

The cps is above the starter on the block. Still a pain to get to but nothing like the 4cyl engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts

I saw in another thread this person has the gls which would be the v6 engine. Its a lot easier.

The cps is above the starter on the block. Still a pain to get to but nothing like the 4cyl engine.
Ah, with no info I was guessing they were talking about the 4 cylinder.
The CPS on the 6 cylinder is a thousand times easier to get to.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,582 Posts
Sorry, not following the troubleshooting method???

What was done to see if it was the crankshaft sensor or O2 sensor??
Reading the DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) is only a lead in troubleshoot the issue.
It is a tool. Not the answer to the problem.

Symptoms are shut off, rough idle, hard start ...
So what tests were done??
If we are just throwing guessing out there
Then I put it upon the MAF sensor being faulty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome replies and thanks. So i have the v6 2.7. Had the engine shut off-rough start/idle as described in first post and yea the only "test" was my trip to advanced auto and the codes provided. This recent shutoff was my only indicator (tho i remember a rough idle incident a couple months ago but no shutoff or restart/s) with an attendant check engine light that there was any problem and made me think it was more than "bad gas."
As i said I'm no mechanic so if its not pretty accessible I'll take her to someone who knows what they're doing lol but again if pretty simple I'll try a fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks jjq. Gonna have a look in the next few days and will take some pics if its not kinda obvious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do you know the sensors are faulty just by reading the trouble codes?
When I see trouble codes for several sensors I'm thinking more along the lines of a power supply or ground problem rather multiple sensors all failing at the same time.
Hmm i see your point. All i had to go on was the codes and my knowledge of engines etc is negligible so for suspects and symptoms I'm not the smartest. Kinda goin where the leads are and hoping for the easy but correct fix.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just changed mine today. I still had the original one in my 05 gls. I knew it needed to be done but was waiting for a nice day to do all the work. Im actually surprised I wasnt having any starting or running issues. I also changed out the alternator, steering pump, tensioner pulley, belt, and idler pulley today.. fun fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Wow.
Those wire leads need to be covered in some metalized heat resistant material, not just regular plastic like they are.
As you said, amazing that you didn't have any driveability issues with how degraded the wires are.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice job jjq. Wish i had the skills to do that lol and the TIME haha...Anyways I've gotta take baby steps.
Is the oxygen sensor fairly accesssible from the top of the engine? Remember my mechanical skills are kindergarten level pretty much..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Nice job jjq. Wish i had the skills to do that lol and the TIME haha...Anyways I've gotta take baby steps.
Is the oxygen sensor fairly accesssible from the top of the engine? Remember my mechanical skills are kindergarten level pretty much..

What engine do you have?
If you have the 2.4l the O2 sensors are very easy to get to.
The V6 2.7l can be more challenging to get to the rear bank O2 sensor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If your only changing bank 1 sensor 1 its easy to get at, if i remember right its the one on the front of the engine might just have to remove one of the fans for extra space... as for that sensor only the part number is NTK 25180. NTK is the original maker for hyundai on the 02 sensors and NGK spark plugs btw. Do not get bosch or you will be sorry. Just get either the dealer part which is nothing more than a rebranded NTK part but double the price or the NTK branded one from like rockauto.

Just as an fyi the car has 4 02 sensors, with the one part number good for two. See below.

NTK 25160
Downstream Right; Bank 1 Sensor 2; OE MFR: NTK

NTK 25180 {#25159}
FitsUpstream Left; Bank 2 Sensor 1; OE MFR: NTK
OrUpstream Right; Bank 1 Sensor 1; OE MFR: NTK

NTK 25181
Downstream Left; Bank 2 Sensor 2; OE MFR: NTK

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
3 codes were present:

1. Crankshaft position sensor malfunction.
2. Oxygen sensor circuit Bank 1.
3. Heated oxygen control sensor Bank 1.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
My lighter and mirrors are dead. Anyone know which fuse i should replace? Ddnt see lighter or mirrors in engine fusebox. Probably looking for the wrong thing tho.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,308 Posts
My lighter and mirrors are dead. Anyone know which fuse i should replace? Ddnt see lighter or mirrors in engine fusebox.
Isn't there a fuse on the dash fusebox marked "C/LIGHTER" and another marked "ACC SOCKET"?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts