Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 4 cylinder Sonata was so smooth at idle when I first got it that I couldn't tell the engine was running. Now there is some vibration noticable while sitting at stop lights (82,000 miles) .... Its gotten gradually worse but still isn't a big problem.

Is there anything typical that might cause this that I could fix? Its not extreme but there is a definite vibration that wasn't there when the car was new. My first thought was that one of the spark plugs is slightly fouled. I usually change plugs at 75K miles so I need to do the plugs anyway. My thoughts are if its an engine mount the vibration would be much worse. Maybe its a vacuum leak somewhere ... don't know.

Any comments would be helpful.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Did you change the timing belt anytime in the past? Was it done at 60K? This particular motor has a balance shaft belt in addition to the regular belt.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Plugs / wire / coils... look for grey/white oval burn spot on the coil winding' body to steel gap.

Mounts not issue with that engine. Sonata or Santa Fe..

2.4 has 2 balance shaft also, 1 driven by small sewing machine kinda belt about 3x faster than crank,, the other shaft runs via the oil pump drive which is run by the timing belt.. lot of stuff going on in there.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
And I did not pay any attention,, but title says 04, but posted in the 06-10 forum..

·
Registered
903 Posts
I think it's '09 from profile.

SBR711 what about the intake gasket at #1?

98V70dad,
You could also try a tank or 3 of fuel with some gumout regane to clean the injectors/valves.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I think it's '09 from profile.
Profile says '09,, but topic title says '04.. need to know what the true story is

SBR711 what about the intake gasket at #1?
Old 2.4 (belt engine),, naaa,, not been seen in my 10yr.. new 2.4 THETA chain engine,, could be, rash of 06-early 08 with cracked intake gasket at #1, quick spritz of carb or good ear pick on vacuum leak.. they'll set an odd lean code, and if gone long enough over time, the 0171 with mate up with the other lean code, 2187 I think it is come along first (not seen 1 of them in a while)

98V70dad,
You could also try a tank or 3 of fuel with some gumout regane to clean the injectors/valves.
See added text above

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe SEL Plus
2,236 Posts
My 4 cylinder Sonata was so smooth at idle when I first got it that I couldn't tell the engine was running. Now there is some vibration noticable while sitting at stop lights (82,000 miles) .... Its gotten gradually worse but still isn't a big problem.

Is there anything typical that might cause this that I could fix? Its not extreme but there is a definite vibration that wasn't there when the car was new. My first thought was that one of the spark plugs is slightly fouled. I usually change plugs at 75K miles so I need to do the plugs anyway. My thoughts are if its an engine mount the vibration would be much worse. Maybe its a vacuum leak somewhere ... don't know.

Any comments would be helpful.
I doubt it is all that serious. Rule out vacuum leaks and a change of plugs can't hurt but be sure not to strip any threads when removing them.

While you are doing the plugs, do a compression check to ensure everything is within spec.

Could be the MAP sensor.

It has the chain not the belt. That's not your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vibration

Did you ever figure out vibration problem ? I just bought 2005 thinking it would be a simple map sensor but that didn't help my vibration . So was hoping someone figured out a fix so I could try it on my car .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts