Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife's vehicle is an 04 Santa Fe 3.5L 4WD. Just turned 100K.
Owner's manual specifically says "Automatic Transaxle Fluid and FILTER" change at 105,000 miles.
This is contrary to everything I read on line.... I read that the filter is only replaced with transmission is off the vehicle when being overhauled.
So which is it?
Also I read for drain and refill it takes anywheref rom 4 qts to 8.9 qts.
I do have a shop manual but it's no help at all.
I searched the forum but could not find an answer.
I appreciate any advice and assistance you can offer.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If you still driving on OE fluid fill, you kinda lucky.. ideally you should be into the 3rd load of oil..

All you can do is drain and fill.. filter is internal to trans case, and dealer not allowed to open unit for repairs.. that done at TRANSLEAD who is the contracted Re-Man facility.

Get 7qt, drain, and refill,, 5 speeder take maybe 6qt when done depending on how long you leave it open to drain.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is the original fill. Owner's manual says to change at 105,000 miles. Thank you for the info. I have a case of Hyundai ATF SPIII on the way. I am rather annoyed at Hyundai for this 105,000 recommendation when it's not correct.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Last dealer I worked, we did ATF every 30.. the dealer I am at now is every 60.

Anybody that know anything about ATF knows it turns to crap as it ages, heat is not friendly.. as it ages, it varnish, so take that varnish and apply it to tiny solenoid pintles, and coat fiber clutch disc with it, alters friction co-efficient of discs, and ruins seals.

Clean fluid will always make things last longer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you. Got a case of ATF. I'll do couple of changes at shorter intervals.
I saw that Lexus don't have a trans dipstick. Supposedly never needs changing.
BMW don't even have a dipstick for engine oil.
What is happening to cars? I don't like working on late model cars.
I do like working and restoring my old muscle cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts