Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, my headlights started flickering, then this afternoon, my battery light started flickering as well. The car idled for about 2 minutes and the TCS OFF and ABS lights both came on. I shut the car off and tried to restart to reset the lights, but the engine wouldn't start. I boosted it and it ran OK, but every light was flickering now, even the dash and radio. It has about 112000 miles (180385km to be precise) and I'm pretty sure the alternator is original. I get 10.8 volts average at the battery terminals with the car running and about 9.8 volts when it's off. I'm expecting at least 14 when the engine is running.

I'm thinking there are 3 possibilities. Bad alternator, bad voltage regulator, or bad wires somewhere. I'd like to have a better idea of what is going on before I spend money on parts.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
When my elantra's alternator died it did the exact same thing, only my battery had a normal voltage.

If the battery is original as well its probably due to be changed soon too. I would get the battery recharged and see if that helps. If not its probably the alternator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts