Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I reinstalled the instrument cluster on my 2004 Elantra GT and now the "blue glow" lights won't turn on. All the "information lights" seatbelt, abs, etc, appear to work ok.

The green tint "odometer" light remains lit when I start the car but turns off when I switch on the parking or headlamps. (This may be a clue, I don't know)

All the exterior lamps/lights work fine. The interior dome light works fine.

I checked the fuses below-dash and under the hood, they were ok but I changed them anyway. Turning the brightness control wheel has no effect. I rechecked all the dash connections and they appear to be ok.

I'm at a total loss and don't know where to go from here, I scoured the forums and YouTube but came up with nothing ... Your constructive thoughts would be greatly appreciated - thanking this esteemed group in advance :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Double check the connections on the back of the instrument cluster. With age the connectors get brittle and may have a pin push out, or not latch completely and pull out when you reinstall the cluster. Had this problem on a 2006 after replacing the bulbs.

Did you change the bulbs, or were they working before and not now?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for a quick reply. I have not changed the bulbs since discovering the problem, they worked Ok. I'll first check the connections, if nothing changes I'll pull the cluster and check the pins and the bulbs, hopefully this will be an EZ fix. I'll post my findings and include pics if allowable. I appreciate your guidance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
check the connection on the dimmer if you did not connect it the lights wont work, the 01-06 GT purple illumination is LED you cannot replace the bulbs without soldering them. there a 3 connectors on black goes to the the trip odometer button, the blue on mine a Sedan does not get plugged in and a white that goes to the dimmer, The blue connector does fit on the dimmer so this could be the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, before I pulled the cluster I checked all the connectors. The only one that does not have a "positive click" is the dimmer wheel, I tried everything but to avail. I then pulled the cluster and checked all the pins and plug connectors which appear to be Ok.

I removed the cluster and examined it, the back of the cluster has 3 bulb sockets neither of them are for the "blue glow" light, the bulbs were all Ok. I attempted to remove the rear cover from the cluster which is secured by a bunch of torx head screws. Behind this cover is what appears to be a large green circuit board which is difficult to remove, I tried but shouldn't have because now the odometer will not display the mileage.

I finally gave up and reconnected the dash (the dimmer plug still would not click into place). I turned on the lights and I'm back to square-1, no blue-ring on the instrument lights, additionally I found that there are no lights on the "fan speed knob, ac dial knob, and thermostat control knob, to make matters worse the A/C button, Air Circulation and Rear Defroster do not light.

It seems I took a big step backwards and went from bad to worse :( Not sure how to proceed at this point, any thoughts? .... I tried to post pics but could not figure out how.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check the connection on the dimmer if you did not connect it the lights wont work, the 01-06 GT purple illumination is LED you cannot replace the bulbs without soldering them. there a 3 connectors on black goes to the the trip odometer button, the blue on mine a Sedan does not get plugged in and a white that goes to the dimmer, The blue connector does fit on the dimmer so this could be the problem.
I'm somewhat confused by the "blue", which of the 3 connectors should be plugged in to the dimmer panel because there are 2 connectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts