Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to replacing my pads and rotors on all 4 wheels on my Santa Fe this weekend. I've never done brakes on the Santa Fe and am curious about pushing the caliper piston back into it's bore to 'reset' it. The haynes manual I have suggests to press the piston back in as the first thing after the wheel comes off BEFORE the old pads come out. I don't even see how it's possible to do this. From all the info I see on the web you need to remove the old pads, then compress the piston, then install the new pads. Can someone please clarify this for me? Thanks.

Dave

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
welcome to the forums dave :00000732:

on the santa fe model the caliper pistons on all four wheels just push back in, there is no need to turn the piston on the rears as on some models. the easiest way to to this is to remove just one of the old brake pads to give you a bit of space and then use a flat bar to gently push the piston back in. it is best to remove the brake pad that is not touching to piston as then you can lever against the other old brake pad so that you get even pressure on the piston when you push it back in place.

you will also have to remove the two 17mm bolts that hold the caliper carrier on the hub assembly if you are going to change the rotors/discs (caution, these bolts can be very tight) also the two cross head screws that hold the rotor/disc to the hub (you may well need an impact screwdriver to do this)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
C - Clamp over top of caliper with solid end at rear of piston bore, and threaded end against outboard pad... turn clamp down, caliper will compress as far as slides allow,,, then take large flat blade screwdriver, get between inboard pad friction material and rotor face and walk the piston the rest of the way in.. then remove caliper..

OR --- just remove caliper, place an old pad in the caliper, and use C-Clamp to walk piston home. :thumbsup:

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
The front brakes are dual-piston....the rear is single.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts