Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife drives an 04 Accent and we seem to have a major issue. Here goes...if you turn the headlight switch to the first spot(parking lights etc.) the digital display disappears and the cluster gauges freakout and all the warning light flicker. When you proceed to the second spot(headlight on) no headlights, high or low, but when you pull and hold flash to pass the high beams work as does the instrument panel. when you turn the switch back to the off position the trip meter resets back to 0.0. I've replaced the multi-function switch and no change. Here's the kicker, if you turn the blower motor on, the instrument panel acts up the same way and the blower motor, a/c, defrost don't work, but if you pull and hold flash to pass the blower motor, a/c all that works great. I would welcome any possible solutions or ideas as this is my wife's car and since it is in this state she really shouldn't be out in it. Thanks well in advance!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
There are several central Ground points scattered around the body.
The Headlights are energized by Grounding the lamps thru the headlight switch. However, when using the flash function, the lamps are Grounded to a different Ground point. The instruments and a few other devices share the first Ground.

If there is high resistance in the first Ground path, then the heavy headlamp current or the heater blower current (it shares the first Ground, too) will raise the Ground several volts (maybe as much as 12V) above Ground and disrupt all the other circuits connected there.

The Ground which I think is to blame is "GO4" which is above the driver's left knee. Check that for corrosion/looseness.
If that looks OK, follow the thick Blk wire; I think it goes to a junction strip inside the fuse box by the driver's left leg. Look in there for obvious signs of corrosion.

If that doesn't discover anything, post back. If you can, get a voltmeter of some sort (needn't be fancy) or else a simple 12V bulb with test leads and we'll probe further.

Meanwhile:
Be sure to register for FREE access to the Hyundai on-line Shop Manuals. See Sticky.
There is a wealth of tech info on there.

Jim

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're gonna love this. Went to look at the G04 and low and behold there wasn't even a bolt for it to be able to ground. Got a 10mm bolt and viola all works. Thank you for the info on that. I really appreciate the response!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts